Eastside Bring Your Own Cup (BYOC)
Clic para español
Got your keys, phone, wallet, and CUP!?!
The Eastside is choosing reuse! The cities of Bellevue, Bothell, Kirkland, and Redmond have partnered to reduce waste from single-use cups.
Join the BYOC Campaign by bringing your own cup to Eastside coffee shops, celebrating reuse efforts in your community!
BYOC-Friendly Coffee Shops
Check out the following Eastside locations accepting BYOC today in this interactive map and refill your cup to do your part to reduce and prevent waste on the Eastside!
Reusables are Better for the Planet
- Over their lifecycle, reusable cups have lower greenhouse gas emissions compared to disposable alternatives.
Reusables Reduce Litter
- Transitioning to reusables helps prevent litter from ending up on the streets, in storm drains, and in rivers and lakes.
Reusables are Safe
- Washington State Retail Food Code allows businesses to refill personal beverage containers. Reusables are safe and do not spread Covid-19.
You can feel good about doing your part to prevent pollution and other harmful environmental impacts! Learn more about the many benefits of reusables by visiting upstreamsolutions.org.
BYOC Passport Pilot Program Outcomes
Project outcomes included:
- Social research on business and consumer barriers to BYOC, 300 surveys
- Digital marketing campaign focused on behavior change (slogan: “keys, wallet, phone, cup!”) reaching an audience of 2,149,267 and 6,496 unique clicks on the campaign ad
- Creation of an interactive BYOC coffee shop mapping tool available on four cities websites
- 686 BYOC pledges and 70 post-pledge surveys
- Gave away over 800 reuse tools (cups, tea towels, sporks, utensil kits, reusable to-go containers, and cloth napkins)
- BYOC passport and prize drawing program awarded 15 passport participants
- Outreach to consumers at 14 tabling events reaching 2,000 individuals
- Relationship building with 20 coffee shop BYOC program partners
- Collected data on total number of cups, sleeves, and lids (28,440) and pounds of cups, sleeves, and lids (1,244) diverted from landfill by consumers and coffee shop participants
- Developed and distributed English and Spanish creative assets to remove language barriers
Help spread the word about where to BYOC and share on social media using the #ChooseReuse hashtag!
BYOC Coffee Shop Partners
A special thank you to our BYOC partners!
Interested in adding your local business to the campaign? Contact us!
This Campaign is partly funded through the Department of Ecology and a partnership between the cities of Bellevue, Bothell, Kirkland, and Redmond.
Environmental Education and Outreach Specialist
City of Kirkland
email or call 425-587-3863