Pay my utility bill 

The City of Kirkland provides drinking water purchased from Seattle Public Utilities through Cascade Water Alliance, an association of regional water districts and cities. The water typically comes from the South Fork Tolt River Watershed in the Cascade Mountains. Seattle Public Utility performs most of the sampling and treatment for Kirkland’s drinking water; however, the Kirkland Water Division operates and maintains the City’s water infrastructure.

The Cascade Water Alliance was created to provide water supply to meet current and future needs in a cost effective and environmentally sensitive manner by purchasing wholesale water from other suppliers; coordinating conservation and supply management; acquiring, constructing and managing water supply infrastructure and fostering regional water planning to provide water for people, fish and fun. Cascade is working to address current and future water supply efficiency needs through conservation programs. Today the Cascade member communities serve over 370,000 residents and 22,000 businesses.

Why was my water bill high?

For questions on your water utility bill, please contact Utility Billing at 425-587-3150.

Current residential water rates

Water rates are measured in "units." A unit is approximately 748 gallons or 100 cubic feet. Billing is for a two-month period.

Water rates

2019 rate

2 month billing

2020 rate

2 month billing

Basic charge: includes first 4 units/2 month billing  $41.94 $43.14
Charge for additional water consumed/unit    
Units 5 through 24 $5.03 $5.17
Units 25 and greater $6.61 $6.80


A 13.38 percent City of Kirkland utility tax is added to all water service charges and is listed separately on your bi-monthly utility bill. KMC 5.08.050

The average person uses 3 units of water per month. So, a family of 4 would use 24 units per billing cycle. Your actual consumption may vary depending on lifestyle and season. A leaky toilet or water leak can dramatically increase your bill. Bills also may be substantially higher during warmer months, when you may use a lot of water outdoors.


Water saving suggestions

  • Wash full loads of dishes and clothes.
  • Fix leaking faucets.
  • Check toilets for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. Wait a few minutes and if the color comes into the toilet bowl, the flapper is leaking and should be replaced.
  • Keep drinking water in the refrigerator to keep it cold rather than running the faucet.
  • Shorten your showers by a minute or two and save up to 1,800 gallons per person each year.
  • Minimize faucet use when brushing your teeth, shaving and washing dishes.
  • Use a shut-off nozzle on outdoor hoses.
  • Sweep driveways and patios instead of hosing them.
  • Wash your vehicle at a commercial car wash.
  • If you have an irrigation system, make sure it is in good working order at the beginning of the watering season. Run the system and check for line breaks, missing spray heads, and overspray onto pavement. Program the system run times to match current weather conditions (don’t water when it rains).
  • Consider plant water requirements when planning gardens and landscaping projects. Talk to your local nursery or landscaping service about plants that are drought tolerant.

For a complete list of water saving suggestions, visit Cascade Water Alliance's Conservation Tips

If you have a question regarding finding household leaks or trouble shooting why your water bill was high, please see Why Was My Water Bill High High. 


Helpful hints for your water meter

Familiarize yourself with where your water meter is located. In general, the meter box is located along the frontage of your property in a black plastic box.

Reading your meter is much like reading the odometer in your car. Most meters in the City have six digits and measure usage in cubic feet. For every 100 cubic feet of water used, the register will show that one unit of water has passed through the meter. For instance, if your meter shows a read of 0542/35, it means that 542 units and 35 cubic feet of water have been used since that meter was installed. When an additional 65 cubic feet of water is used, the register would read 0543/00 (one unit of water is equivalent to approximately 748 gallons).

If you suspect a leak, check to see if any of the dials (usually a red or silver triangle) is spinning when all uses of water in the house are turned off. For a more detailed explanation, please see water leak information.

It is also important to keep your meter box clear of debris, fences and shrubbery so that it is accessible to Water Division personnel. A good rule of thumb is at least three to five feet on all sides.

If it becomes necessary for you to shut the water off to your house or building for emergency reasons, simply use a crescent wrench and turn the shut off valve (technically called an angle stop) in a clock wise direction until the two eyelets line up. If the angle stop in your meter box does not have the eyelets, there should be an arrow stamped into the top of the valve. Turn the angle stop in the same manner until the arrow is pointing away from the meter.

As with your water meter box, it is also important to make sure that if there is a fire hydrant in front of your property, it too needs to be kept clear of debris, shrubs and other obstructions. This is critical for maintenance as well as emergency access for the fire department.




Acquisition of Lake Tapps by Cascade Water Alliance - A historic timeline