Skip to main content
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Serving on City Council

During their meeting on January 2, 2019, the City Council decided to invite applications to fill the Council vacancy created by the retirement of Councilmember Amy Walen. Councilmember Walen announced her retirement from the Council, effective January 31, 2019, in order to devote her time to serving her constituents in the Washington State House of Representatives.

The City Council is now accepting applications.  Applications must be submitted by 4 p.m., Tuesday, January 29, 2019.  The individual that is selected will serve on the Council through the certification of the November 2019 election. Any individual appointed may also file to retain the seat in that election. To be considered for this appointment applicants must have been a resident of the City of Kirkland for at least one year as of November 5, 2019, and must be registered to vote.

The Council intends to fill the position no later than March 1, and sooner if possible. Applicants must be available on Tuesday, February 19, between 2:45 and 7:30 p.m. for interviews.

A Council subcommittee consisting of Mayor Penny Sweet, Councilmember Dave Asher and Councilmember Toby Nixon will review the applications and recommend applicants to be invited for an interview. Recommendations will be reviewed at the February 5 meeting and the Council will determine which candidates should be interviewed. Interviews will be conducted at a special meeting prior to the regular Council Meeting on Tuesday, February 19. The March 1 Council Retreat will be the first meeting for the newly-appointed Councilmember. 

Potential candidates are encouraged to review the following information:

You may submit your application materials in the following ways:

  • Email to or
  • Hand deliver to the Kirkland City Clerk’s Office: 123 5th Avenue, Kirkland, WA 98033

If you need an accommodation in the application process or if you have questions about this application process, please call City Clerk Kathi Anderson at (425) 587-3197. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application process or who need this application in an alternative format may call (425) 587-3190 or TTY Relay 711.

Specific questions regarding the application process or the requirements of serving on the Council can be directed to Kathi Anderson, City Clerk, at or 425-587-3197.

Additional information about the Kirkland City Council can be found on the Council's webpage.

City Council
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries
T. 425.587.3001 | F. 425.587.3019