Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Kirkland Municipal Court located?

Kirkland Municipal Court is located at the Kirkland Justice Center at 11740 NE 118th Street.  The court may be reached at (425) 587-3160. Its hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to noon; 1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. The court is closed on holidays.

Where do I go to pay (or contest) tickets, fines , or petition for an order?

You may pay or contest tickets or fines at the Kirkland Municipal Court located at the Kirkland Justice Center address is 11740 NE 118th Street. To petition for an order, contact Northeast District Court in Redmond, located at 8601 160th Avenue NE. Their phone number is (206) 296-3667.

I have a Kirkland address, so why am I serviced by the King County Sheriff?

Not all Kirkland addresses are served by the Kirkland Police. Residents of unincorporated King County who wish to obtain pistol licenses, get fingerprints, etc. should contact their nearest King County Sheriff’s Office precinct.

How do I obtain a Concealed Pistol License ?

City of Kirkland residents may apply for a CPL during normal business hours, Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the front counter of the department (Records Unit).  The application process takes just a few minutes and requires current picture ID.  Acceptable forms of payment are credit, debit (fee applies) cash or check.  If paying cash, please be aware we have a limited amount of change, and can only do this for bill denominations of $20 or smaller.

The Department of Licensing must have your current Kirkland address on file.  If your current Kirkland address is not on your driver's license, make sure you have updated DOL with your current address.  This may be done in person at a DMV office or on-line at DOL's change of address web site.  This address must be a street address, not a post office box or mail stop.

Cost and Renewal

  • As of March 3, 2019 an Original CPL will cost $49.25 which includes a fingerprinting fee and is valid for 5 years once issued.  Applicants will need to be fingerprinted when applying for a new CPL.

  • City of Kirkland residents may apply for CPLs at the Kirkland Police Records counter (in the Police Department lobby) located at 11750 Ne 118th St Kirkland WA 98034.  CPL applicants may apply and be fingerprinted on Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.  If applicants apply outside of these hours, they will need to return for fingerprinting on Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM or Sundays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
  • CPL Renewals can be processed by Kirkland Police Records personnel during normal business hours Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM.  The CPL renewal fee is $32.00.  You may renew your CPL up to 90 days ahead of the expiration date. 
  • Late renewal CPLs may be renewed within 90 days of expiration date for $42.00.  CPLs may not be renewed if they are expired for more than 90 days. 
  • Applicants must apply for a new CPL and be fingerprinted. 
  • Lost, stolen, or damaged CPLs may be replaced for $10.00.

Armed Forces CPL Renewal (Out of State Deployment)

Currently deployed members of the Armed Forces, Including the National Guard and Armed Forces Reserves, who are deployed out of state, can renew their concealed pistol license by mail.  This must be done within 90 days of the expiration of the existing concealed pistol license.  The license in this circumstance is only valid for a period of one year.


    To renew by mail in this circumstance, contact the Kirkland Police Department Records Unit at 425-587-3481 or via email at An application will be sent to the requester either electronically or via standard mail.  Completed applications must be submitted with a copy of the original order designating the period of deployment, a copy of a valid government issued ID, and a credit card, check or money order payable to the City of Kirkland for the renewal fee.  Applications submitted up to 90 days prior to license expiration are $32.00.  Applications submitted up to 90 days after license expiration are considered late renewals and are $42.00. All license renewals submitted by mail are valid for a period of one year.

  • The law also allows members of the Armed Forces to renew his or her license within ninety days after they return to this state from out-of-state military service.  The applicant will need to provide a copy of their original order designating the specific period of assignment, reassignment, or deployment for out-of-state military service, and, if appropriate, a copy of their discharge or amended or subsequent assignment, reassignment, or deployment order back to this state. A license renewed under this law shall take effect on the expiration date of the prior license.  A licensee renewing after the expiration date of the license under this law shall pay only the renewal fee of $32 and shall not be required to pay a late renewal penalty.  The license in this circumstance is valid for five years.


  • The Kirkland Police Department provides fingerprinting for Kirkland residents applying for concealed pistol licenses (CPL) only.  Fingerprinting services for employment, adoption, or other purposes may be obtained privately by searching, “Fingerprinting Services Kirkland Washington”
  • CPL Fingerprinting is available on Wednesdays from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM and Sundays from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
  • Fingerprinting is conducted at the Kirkland Jail, located at 11750 NE 118th St Kirkland WA 98034.  The jail entrance is located on the south side of the Kirkland Justice Center off of NE 118th St.
  • PLEASE Note:  You MUST have your receipt when you are fingerprinted.  This receipt is obtained when applying at the Kirkland Police Records counter which is located in the lobby of the Police Department at 11750 NE 118th St Kirkland WA 98034.


    Does the Police Department have a “lost and found” section?

    Yes. The Property and Evidence Division frequently receives property that has been found by citizens. Most commonly, articles such as bicycles, key rings, backpacks, wallets and purses are turned in as found property, but it could be anything - like a laser printer.

    For inquiries regarding lost property, please contact the Evidence Division at 425-587-3483 or Appointments are required to retrieve any found property. The KPD is located at 11750 NE 118th Street, Kirkland, WA 98034-7114.

    Where do I go to have fingerprints taken?

    The Kirkland Police Department provides fingerprinting service for Kirkland residents applying for concealed pistol licenses only.  Fingerprinting services for employment purposes can be obtained privately by searching "Fingerprinting Services Kirkland Washington."

    Does the Police Department fingerprint children ?

    Because we do not have the equipment necessary to fingerprint small children, we are unable to provide this service. Services are provided, however, by Family and Friends of Missing Persons and Violent Crimes, phone 206-362-1081.

    How do I get a police clearance letter?

    You may obtain a clearance letter at the Records Division of the police department. The hours are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. We will ask for picture ID, and conduct a records check for criminal history within the City of Kirkland only. There is no fee for this service. If you need a statewide records check, please contact the Washington State Patrol at 425-649-4370.

    How do I obtain a copy of my arrest record for INS purposes?

    Please provide copies of the INS request for these records to the Records Division. We will retain a copy of this paperwork and send it with copies of your arrest record(s) directly to the INS. If you do not have your INS paperwork available, you will be asked to complete a Request for Disclosure Form. We will respond to your request for arrest records within 5 business days.

    How do I obtain an Alien Firearms License ?

    Non-US residents may apply for a Concealed Pistol License by first contacting the Department of Licensing (DOL) by phone at 360-753-2803 or by mail at Department of Licensing, Attn: Firearms Desk, PO Box 9649, Olympia WA 98507-9649. The DOL will send you an application packet along with instructions on how to proceed. City of Kirkland residents may bring the completed application to our department during our Concealed Pistol License/Fingerprinting hours (above). Applicants must submit a completed application (obtained from the DOL), a Washington state driver's license or ID card, and a resident alien card, I-94 (Immigration form), or visa. A non-refundable $74.25 fee is due at the time of the application. The application process takes approximately 30 minutes. The completed application will be forwarded to DOL who will send the Alien Firearm License directly to the applicant. Should the individual be interested in then applying for a Concealed Pistol License, the Alien Firearm License must be presented to our Department to submit an application.

    BEGINNING JULY 26, 2009:
    Non-US residents may apply for a Concealed Pistol License by first contacting the King County Sheriff's Office for the application and issuance of a ALIEN FIREARMS LICENSE. The fee for this license is $50.00. For questions or further information, please contact the King County Sheriff's Office at 206-296-3311. Should the individual be interested in then applying for a Concealed Pistol License, the Alien Firearm License must be presented to our Department to submit an application.

    How do I obtain a Firearms Dealers License ?

    City of Kirkland residents may apply for these licenses during our Concealed Pistol License/Fingerprinting hours (see above). Applicants must be 21 years of age and must provide a copy of a current valid Federal Firearms Dealers License, State of Washington Business License, City of Kirkland Business License, and valid photo ID. A check for $125.00 payable to the City of Kirkland must accompany the application. Dealer licenses are valid for one year from date of issue and normally take two weeks to process. Applicants will be fingerprinted each year.

    Does the Police Department operate a jail ?

    Yes, there is a 72-bed jail located within the Kirkland Justice Center, 11750 NE 118th Street, Kirkland, WA 98034-7114.  To contact the Corrections Division, call 425-587-3400 and listen to the operator's instructions.

    I’ve locked myself out of my car. Can the Police sent someone to help me get into it?

    As a general rule, we do not respond to persons having locked themselves out of their vehicles. Officers are not allowed to use “slim jims” or “flat bars”. The best persons to call in such cases are a friend with a key, a tow truck (they often carry “slim jims”), a locksmith or an emergency auto service provider. We will only respond to a locked vehicle in those cases where a small child is locked in the vehicle or where some other threat to a person exists.

    Where can I get a copy of a Kirkland Police report? 

    The Kirkland Police department provided copies of police reports and traffic collision reports for incidents that occurred within the City of Kirkland that they have investigated.  Once a request has been received, the Kirkland Police department has five (5) business days per Washington state law (RCW 42.56.520) in which to respond to the request. This response will either be by fulfilling, denying, extending, or requesting clarification of the request.  There is no fee for electronic born copies of case reports.  There may be a fee for printed reports.  To request a Kirkland Police record, access the City’s records portal at to external site.  For general police records information, contact the Kirkland Police department Records unit via email at policerecords@kirklandwa.govlinks to external site or by phone at 425-587-3481. (See also Request for Public Disclosure.)

    If you have been issued a criminal citation, you must request a copy of your police report through Discovery. Contact the Kirkland Prosecutor’s Office at 425-284-2362 for further information.

    I have property that is being held by the Kirkland Police Department. How do I get it back?

    Property is held in evidence for three specific reasons:
    1. Evidence in a criminal case
    2. Safekeeping
    3. Found property

    Property is released only to the legal owner and by appointment only. If property is being held as evidence in a criminal case, approval from the City Attorney or Prosecuting Attorney must be given before releasing the property back to the owner. To make an appointment to pick up property or evidence, call the Evidence Technician at (425) 587-3483.

    How do I get real time traffic and weather information in the State of Washington?

    Real time traffic and weather information is now available by simply dialing 5-1-1 in Washington State from some phones. Puget Sound traffic conditions, statewide construction and incident information and mountain pass conditions are updated every few minutes. 5-1-1 also connects callers directly to the state's ferry system and provides 800 numbers for passenger rail and airlines. For now WSDOT's 1-800 traffic and mountain pass number will remain operational, once all all major land line companies have activated the new 511 voice recognition system then this number will be discontinued.

    Related Link: 511 Informational document (PDF 358 Kb)

    How do I arrange a candle light vigil? Or free speech event?

    Expressive Events


    For impromptu Expressive Events (i.e. free speech events such as candlelight vigils) intended to be held on public property on an evening or weekend and for which advance coordination with the City for permitting is not feasible, we ask that the event organizer notify the City by contacting the Kirkland Police Department non-emergency number at 425-577-5656.

    Road Issues

    For reporting road issues such as traffic signals, street signs, potholes etc. Please contact the City of Kirkland Public Works, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 425-587-3900.  

    Water Issues

    Please report water issues to the City of Kirkland Public Works by calling 425-587-3900 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


    • Spills or water pollution
    • Flooding or Drainage Problems
    • Drinking water issues
    • Sewage issues

    What is the Kirkland Police Department's policy on the release of information after a suicide? 

    It is the practice of the City of Kirkland and the Kirkland Police Department to not release information to the general public when a suicide occurs in our community. This is a common best practice across law enforcement agencies nationwide, and a standard practice for most media outlets. There are three primary reasons why information is not released to the broader community when a suicide occurs:

    1. To avoid family and friends from finding out about the loss of their loved one through social media or other media outlets.
    2. To respect the privacy of the individual that has passed as well as the privacy of their family and friends.
    3. To not increase the likelihood of similar acts by vulnerable individuals. 

    Over 100 studies have shown a connection between presentations of suicide in news and information media (including social media) and copycat acts. The risk of additional suicides increases when the story explicitly describes the suicide method, uses dramatic/graphic headlines or images, includes repeated/extensive coverage, or sensationalizes or glamorizes a death. 

    Please note the following signs that someone may be considering suicide:

    • Talking about wanting to die 
    • Looking for a way to kill oneself 
    • Talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose 
    • Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain 
    • Talking about being a burden to others 
    • Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs 
    • Acting anxious, agitated or recklessly 
    • Sleeping too little or too much 
    • Withdrawing or feeling isolated 
    • Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge 
    • Displaying extreme mood swings 

    The more of these signs a person shows, the greater the risk. Warning signs are associated with suicide but may not be what causes a suicide. If someone you know exhibits warning signs of suicide: 

    • Do not leave the person alone 
    • Remove any firearms, alcohol, drugs or sharp objects that could be used in a suicide attempt 
    • Call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) 
    • Take the person to an emergency room or seek help from a medical or mental health professional 

    Thank you for understanding our communication policy when tragedies like this occur in our community. 

    How does the Police Department respond to calls involving people experiencing homelessness?

    The Kirkland Police Department’s philosophy and current practice is to not criminalize homelessness. Kirkland officers resolve matters on a case-by-case basis, using their discretion to problem solve in a way that considers the entire Kirkland community. These slides provide examples of how Kirkland officers are likely to respond in certain scenarios. However, the exact response will ultimately depend on the particular circumstances of each situation.

    How do I submit a compliment / complaint to the Kirkland Police Department? 

    To submit a compliment or a complaint about the Kirkland Police Department, visit the Compliment / Complaint webpage and use the online form. 




    Police Department
    11750 NE 118th St, Kirkland WA 98034

    General Inquiries
    For police, fire, and emergency medical services, call 9-1-1
    Non-emergency incident: 425-577-5656