The mission of the Kirkland Police Department is to protect and serve our community with honor, integrity, and courage.
$16,000 hiring bonus for qualified lateral police applicants!
If you’re considering a challenging but rewarding career in law enforcement, Kirkland Police Department is one of the best police agencies in King County to work as a police officer. KPD enjoys exceptionally strong support and appreciation from community members and city leaders, and the City of Kirkland has a very low crime rate. As a mid-sized department, KPD is large enough to have several specialty units such as Investigations, Pro-Act and School Resource Officers – yet small enough for officers to get to know their colleagues and recognize the great people they work with every day.
KPD serves a population of approximately 92,175 covering nearly 18 square miles and surrounded by stunning views of the Olympic Mountains and the Seattle skyline. Kirkland is bordered to the north by Kenmore, Bothell and Woodinville; to the east by Redmond; to the south by Bellevue; and to the west, sunsets over Lake Washington.
KPD is currently authorized 108 commissioned officers and 47 civilian support personnel. The Department is currently hiring entry level and lateral corrections officers and police officers.
Police Specialty Units
KPD’s specialty units are growing and include:
- Traffic – Enforcement and education to reduce accidents and traffic congestion
- Investigations – Detectives in support of 24-hour-a-day Patrol Unit calls
- Pro-Act – Proactive enforcement of illegal drugs, car prowls, burglaries and more
- School Resource Officers – Providing safety, support, and education at LWSD schools
- Neighborhood Resource Officers – Problem solvers for the the community
Salary, Benefits and More
Just some of the perks of a career with Kirkland Police Department:
- One of the best paid Police Departments in the state
- Starting Officer $6,688/month
- Patrol Officers range from $7,241 to $8,720/month
- Additional incentive pay based for education, special assignments, longevity, and shift differential for night shift.
- 100% of medical/dental/vision insurance premiums are covered by the City for you and your eligible dependents, for full time employees.
- Retirement: State LEOFF II and MEBT
- Employee contributions to the Municipal Employee’s Benefit Trust fund matched by the City in lieu of social security
- Employees contribute pre-tax dollars towards their Law Enforcement and Firefighters Fund
- KPD operates out of the newer Kirkland Justice Center, built in 2014, and officers are well equipped
- Officers can work out on duty up to 3 hours per week at the facility gym
- Patrol officers work a 4/10 schedule on a yearly bid by seniority, which is valued in a profession known for shift work
Apply to be an entry level or lateral police officer in one of the most livable cities in America. Kirkland is a great place to live, work and play. Come join us!