Utility Billing

Pay your Utility Bill

  • The City of Kirkland provides the following utility services:

    • Garbage, recycling, and yard waste collection
    • Water and sewer (not all neighborhoods)

    The City of Kirkland has changed the design of our utility bill.  Information about the new design can be found on our new utility bill design pageThe City has recently switched printing vendors, and there have been delays in the utility billing process. All utility-related late fees and water shut offs are currently suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Utility bills are mailed to our customers on a bi-monthly basis.

    There are a number of ways to set up your utility account to make payments, including online billing and phone payments.  To read more about payment and billing options, go to our Pay a Utility Bill page or review the FAQs listed below.  

    Free water saving items and tips are available through Cascade Water Alliance

    Water Quality
    To read Kirkland's annual report of the quality of your drinking water, please review our Annual Water Quality Report(PDF, 4MB)

    Water Conservation

    Did you know:

    • That our area receives less rainfall during July and August than Tucson, Arizona.
    • When you water outdoors during the heat of the day, about 48% of the water evaporates.
    • 86% of irrigation water in the Seattle area is used for residential landscapes, not for commercial watering.


    How can I pay my utility bill?

    The City offers our customers the following payment options:

    • Online - Please access Paymentus for online utility bill payments.  This website offers Email billing notifications and allows autopay options for credit card/debit card/e-check payments that are processed on the due date of your bill.  You can also make a one-time payment here if you prefer.
    • Phone - Call our automated payment processing system at 1-855-498-9970
    • City Hall Drop Box - Available all hours at City Hall's main entrance at 123 5th Ave.  No cash, please.
    • City Hall Utility Counter - City Hall is currently closed until we enter Phase 3 of the State's COVID-19 re-opening plan.  Once we re-open, City Hall hours are Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM except holidays.
    • Personal Bank Online Payment - Please allow 10 days for payment to reach the City of Kirkland
    • ACH Debit(PDF, 102KB)Automatic withdrawal from checking or savings. 
    • Mail - Allow 7 days for payment to reach the City of Kirkland. Please mail your payment to: City of Kirkland Utility Billing, PO Box 4328 Portland, OR 97208

    Pay your bill

    Am I eligible for senior/disabled rates?

    The City of Kirkland offers reduced water, sewer and garbage rates for qualifying low income, single family residential customers who are 62 years or older, blind, disabled, or home kidney dialysis customers. To qualify, you must prove:

    • You or your spouse (if married) are at least 62 years of age or older.
    • If single, you receive $3,229.16 or less gross monthly income.
    • If married, you receive $3,691.66 or less gross monthly income.

    These qualifying requirements are updated in April of every year.

    If you believe you meet these requirements, contact the Utility Billing Office at 425-587-3150 (or by Email: utilitybilling@kirklandwa.gov) for additional information and to receive the forms to apply for the reduced senior rate.

    You may also download the Senior/Disabled filing form and affidavit(PDF, 245KB) (PDF) for the reduced senior rate (you'll need both forms).  You will also need Adobe Acrobat Reader (a free program) to view or print these files.

    Reduced income water rates are 50% of the water base charge.  Consumption is charged at the normal rate. 

    Reduced sewer rates are 75% of the sewer base charge.  Normal rates apply to usage above the basic rate.

    Solid waste rates for qualified low income seniors and disabled single family residential customers is 60% of the regular solid waste rates for each service level.


    How can I donate to Hopelink to help other people?

    Act to help families in need – pay extra on your utility bill

    The City is seeing many Kirkland utility customers struggling to pay their utility bills.  Next time you’re paying your own bill, consider adding a little extra as a donation to Hopelink.  Your contribution will be provided to local families that need help paying their heating and utility bills. 

    For more information on how to donate, call the Utility Billing Division at 425-587-3150.  Should you need assistance from Hopelink, visit www.hopelink.org or call 425-889-7880.  


    I need help paying my bill

    The Governor has issued Proclamation 20-23, pertaining to Utility Ratepayer Assistance and Preservation of Essential Services.  The City of Kirkland is committed to keeping our customers connected to essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic emergency.  If you are experiencing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible for support, including long-term payment arrangements or bill assistance.  This proclamation does not relieve customers from the obligation to pay for utility services.

    The City of Kirkland is providing immediate financial assistance to Kirkland residents struggling to pay their utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit our Utility Relief Program webpage for more information and to access the application. 

    The City of Kirkland is offering the opportunity to defer payment of utility bills for customers who are experiencing financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    To request a deferral on your bill, please contact the City of Kirkland Utility Billing Division via e-mail at utilitybilling@kirklandwa.gov or via phone at 425-587-3150.

    • Kirkland is suspending all late fees, tag fees, and water shutoffs until 30 days after rescission of Governor’s Executive Order.

    • Utility charges are not being discounted or waived.  Deferral of your utility bill allows the customer to delay payment of current charges.

    • Please pay what you can to avoid a large balance once the Governor’s Stay at Home Executive Order is rescinded and your next bill arrives.

    • If you are a renter, please notify the owner of your property that you are deferring payment of your utility bill at this time.

    As a municipality, the City of Kirkland is unable to extend credit. If you are having difficulty paying your utility bill, one or more of the following agencies may be able to provide you with assistance:

    HopeLink - Kirkland

    Salvation Army

    St. Vincent de Paul

    State of Washington DSHS- King Eastside CSO

    During the COVID-19 pandemic, the State of Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission will serve as the single point of contact within state government for customers seeking bill assistance information.

    Hotline: 1-888-333-9882

    Email: consumer@utc.wa.gov  

    How can I have utility bills mailed to my tenant or property manager?

    To have your City of Kirkland utility bill mailed to your tenant or property manager, please complete the appropriate form and return to our Utility Billing Dept.

    Tenant Billing Form(PDF, 84KB) : To request that the billing be sent to the residential service address addressed as “Tenant"

    Property Management Billing Form(PDF, 272KB) : To request that the billing be sent to a property manager or bill-payer.

    Commercial Tenant Billing Form(PDF, 278KB) : To request that the billing be sent to a commercial property tenant.

    Property owners are responsible for all charges on utility bills. Upon the request of the property owner, utility billings can be made to the tenant or other designee. This alternate billing is for the convenience of the owner. If you are a tenant and receiving a bill, please be advised that a copy of any late notice will also be provided to the property owner or their designee. If you would like more information contact the Utility Billing Office at 425-587-3150 or by Email: utilitybilling@kirklandwa.gov

    How can I lower my water consumption and what if I have a water leak?

    If your water bill seems more expensive than normal, the City of Kirkland has suggestions for things to look for to determine why your water consumption was high.

    Do You Think You Have a Water Leak?

    Dripping faucets and water leaks waste water and money. The smallest of drips and leaks around your home or business should be repaired. A slow drip can waste 15 to 20 gallons of water per day. 

    Many leaks are easy to fix. Others may require a plumber. A good "fix-it" book from the library or store can help you replace washers and fix other common plumbing problems. Many hardware stores also offer good advice. If in doubt, seek a plumbing professional.

    The City's responsibility ends on the customer's side of the water meter. The customer is responsible from the meter to the house, including plumbing inside of the house. The City will maintain the water meter and meter box. It is the customer's responsibility to keep the meter box accessible from landscaping and fences (for meter reading and emergencies).

    We monitor for abnormal increases in water usage and, as a courtesy, may send you a letter to alert you of a possible leak. If you discover that you have a leak in your plumbing system, you may qualify for an adjustment to your bill.  Please complete the Leak Adjustment form below, and return it to our Utility Billing Department.

    Leak Adjustment Criteria and Application(PDF, 24KB)  

    How to find leaks:

    Most leaks can be heard or seen, but some are difficult to detect. Your water meter may be your most useful tool in identifying water leaks on your property. Follow these easy steps to check for unseen leaks:

    • Locate the water meter


    • Locate the water supply shut-off valve for your building. It can be outdoors or indoors and is commonly located where the main water pipe enters the building foundation. In a home, this is often near an outside faucet. (Note: If you do not have a main shut-off valve, have one installed.)
    • Turn off all faucets, outlets and water-using appliances.
    • Note the one-cubic foot dial on the meter. After 30 minutes or more, take another look at the dial. If the dial has moved, you have a leak either inside or underground. Now, close the main shut-off valve. If the indicator stops, your leak is inside the building. Check toilets and faucets. If the indicator continues to move when the shut-off valve is closed, you have an underground leak between the water meter and the shut-off valve, which should be repaired.

    Fire Hydrant Leak

    Fire hydrant leaks should be reported to the City of Kirkland Public Works Department at 425-587-3900. The Water Division in Public Works handles hydrant leaks (not the Fire Department).