O.O. Denny Park

OO Denny shoreline in summer

O.O. Denny Park is located on Lake Washington and features picnic areas, a playground, trails, and restrooms. The restroom building is typically open March through October. A portable toilet is available from approximately November to March. 

On the northeast side of Holmes Point Dr NE, O.O. Denny Park is home to trails, Denny Creek, and some of the oldest and tallest trees in the area.

There are two parking lots, located on either side of the road. Limited street parking is also available. 

Park Donations

Donating funds to a park is a wonderful way to show appreciation for Kirkland, to honor someone special, or to commemorate a milestone. Park benches and tables are the most popular items to donate, however other donations are possible as well, like those for trees or landscape, for general park maintenance, towards public art or other site amenities (i.e. water fountains), and even towards the tools and equipment needed to keep Kirkland’s parks beautiful.

Learn more about park donations

Picnic Area Rental

O.O. Denny Park has two picnic areas available for rent. One picnic area includes a covered shelter with a total of five picnic tables. There are BBQs available for use in the picnic area.

The other picnic area is uncovered and includes two picnic tables and BBQs available for use.

When the picnic areas are not being rented, they are available for use on a first-come, first-serve basis.

There are additional picnic tables and BBQs throughout the park that are not part of the picnic areas. They are available for first-come, first-serve use.

Learn more about renting a picnic area at O.O. Denny Park

Park History

O.O. Denny Park is named for Orion O. Denny, whose country retreat was once on the property. Denny was the son of Seattle founders, Arthur and Mary Ann Denny. Denny was one of the first students at the Territorial University, where he trained in marine engineering. Denny later became a vice president of the Denny Clay Company in Renton.

When O.O. Denny passed away in 1916, his widow, Helen, donated the 46-acre tract of land to the City of Seattle, with instructions that it be kept as a park named in his honor. In 1922, O.O. Denny Park opened for public use. In 1926, the City of Seattle chose the park as an outdoor camp for Seattle children "who need to experience life in the green forest." In 1968, maintenance of the park was transferred from Seattle to King County. In 2001, after a funding shortfall, the park was slated for closure. On November 5, 2002, nearby Finn Hill residents voted to form the Finn Hill Park and Recreation District to manage the park. Following the annexation of the Finn Hill neighborhood, the City of Kirkland took over managing the park in 2013 which the park is still owned by the City of Seattle. 

Waterfront Access

O.O. Denny Park is located on Lake Washington. The beach does not have lifeguards. You can launch your personal watercraft (kayak, paddleboard, etc.) from the park. 

Learn more about lifeguarded beaches in Kirkland

   

Photos of O.O. Denny Park

Location

12032 Holmes Point Drive NE, Kirkland 98034  View Map

Google Map