The Kirkland Police Department is inviting residents of Kirkland to participate in the department's 2017 Citizens Academy. The Academy will run every Tuesday night from 6pm to 9pm, from September 19th to November 7th, 2017.
Limited to 20 participants
The Citizens Academy is an eight week program designed to give the residents of Kirkland a working knowledge of the Kirkland Police Department. The instruction is comprehensive and each week different areas of the department are covered, to include:
- Patrol Officer Training
- Special Response Team
- Use of Force
- DUI Enforcement
- Traffic Enforcement
Instruction consists of lectures, scenarios, demonstrations, and tours. There will be plenty of "hands on" time for each student. Instructors include Kirkland Police Officers and other personnel, who will cover their individual areas of expertise.
- To provide an opportunity for educating and building positive police relations with citizens on an on-going basis; to promote community-Kirkland Police cooperation, understanding and good will.
- To gain support for police and to encourage citizens to partner with law enforcement to assist in making our community a safer place to live.
- To offer citizens a better understanding of police functions, how policies are developed, the decision making process, and what an officer experiences on a day to day basis.
- To address citizens concerns and perceptions about police officers.
Candidates for the Citizens Academy must fill out an application and meet the following criteria:
- Minimum age of 21 years old
- Live or work in Kirkland
- No prior felony convictions
Due to the limited space in the class, participants must be able to commit to attending each week within the eight week program. Students cannot select certain classes in the program to attend. In addition, due to the quick pace of the classes, they will begin promptly at 6pm each night. There is no cost to academy participants.
Citizens Academy participants are selected by an application review and a routine records check. Applications are available online (click here for application) but must be submitted via mail or email, with signature attached. Notification of acceptance will be made via telephone.
For more information contact:
The Kirkland Police Department: