Single Family Waste Collection Service


Waste collection services are provided by Waste Management (WM). Weekly recycling and food+yard waste services are included at no additional cost with your garbage service. A new waste collection contract with WM begins July 1, 2022, bringing updated services and rates. 

Single family residents are those who live in a standalone house or accessory dwelling unit of a house (such as a "mother-in-law" unit).

What you can put in your carts

Learn what is accepted in each cart:

(blue dumpster or cart)
Food Scraps
(gray cart)
(green dumpster or cart)

Additional Curbside Recycling Services

Additional next-to-your-cart recycling and disposal services are available, including:

Schedule these services with Waste Management at 425-587-0040 / 1-800-592-9995 or

Drop-off recycling locations and special recycling events are also available for additional items, such as confidential paper shredding, paint, and plastic bags.

Beyond the Cart Recycling Directorywhat do I do with...

Rates and Billing

Waste collection rates are based on the size of your garbage cart. All sizes of garbage carts include weekly collection of a 64-gallon recycle cart and 96-gallon food plus yard waste cart. Residents are billed through the City of Kirkland on a bi-monthly basis.

Switch to a smaller garbage cart to reduce the cost of your waste collection service. To change your garbage cart size, contact WM at 425-587-0040 / 1-800-592-9995 or

A new waste collection contract with WM begins July 1, 2022, bringing updated services and rates. Low-income senior discounts are available.

Single family utility rates

How to pay your bill

Service Information

Carts-Do-1.jpg How to Place Your Carts for Service

All of your containers should be placed for collection by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day(PDF, 2MB).

Please remove your containers from the right-of-way once they are emptied. Thank you for keeping our sidewalks and bike lanes clear for people walking, biking, and rolling.

Where to place your cart

How to Put Out Extra Material

Extra recycling is free. Extra garbage and yard waste that won't fit inside your cart with the lid closed are subject to a charge. Extra material is charged by unit, based on volume. See rates for extras.



  • Place extra garbage in 32-gallon personal containers (with handles) or plastic bags, labeled "garbage." (35 pound limit)
  • If the lid of your cart is not fully closed, you may be charged for an extra


  • FREE
  • Place extra household recyclables next to your cart in a paper bag, cardboard box, or reusable container labeled "Recycling". (Limit 35 pounds.)
  • Extra cardboard boxes can be broken down and placed next to your cart. It should be no larger than 3' on any side. Please do not leave cardboard out in the rain overnight — soggy cardboard is not able to be recycled, because the rain ruins the paper fibers.

Yard Waste

  • Place extra yard waste in 32-gallon personal containers (35 pound limit) or Kraft bags labeled "Yard," or bundle into 4'x2' bundles with twine (no plastic).
  • If you often put out more than three yard waste extras a month, consider ordering an extra 96-gallon yard waste cart. You can order an extra cart for a portion of the year. See monthly rates for an extra yard waste cart.

We have a special program during November — residents may put out up to 5 bags of yard waste extras each week for free!



Collection service is provided on all holidays except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. If your regular service day falls on or after one of these holidays, then your collection day will be pushed forward by one day for that week. 

For example, if your regular service day falls on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday), then your collection day will be on Friday. Friday customers would receive service on Saturday.

Inclement Weather Service Delays

Winter storms in Western Washington create unsafe, icy, and sometime impassable road conditions that significantly impact WM’s ability to safely provide collection service.

WM's Weatherboard contains the most up-to-date service announcements. The City and WM also send out customer notifications via phone and use a variety of social media platforms, website, press releases and media advisories, if applicable.

In the event of a missed collection due to unsafe weather and road conditions, the WM and City service interruption policy is to collect double loads of all materials at no additional charge on your next regular service day when the weather improves and service resumes.

Winter Weather Delays

If Waste Management determines that weather conditions make collection unsafe, they may postpone collection until the following week, when customers can put out twice their regular amount of material. They may also choose to start service later the same day to allow road conditions to improve, but may not have time to collect all materials, in which case missed customers can put out twice their regular amount of material the following week. No credits or refunds will be issued for collection delays due to weather.

Get daily service updates about weather delays at WM's Weatherboard or call WM at 1-800-592-9995.

How to Sign Up for Service Alerts by Phone

If you would like to receive phone alerts about winter weather service delays (may not receive till the afternoon on the day service is cancelled), you can sign up to receive them. If you have received calls from WM in the past, you do not need to do anything. Sign up through the Our Kirkland service portal.

  1. On the first step, you do not need to provide a location.
  2. For the issue, go to Garbage/Water/Sewer Billing, then select "I Want to Receive Waste Management Alerts"
  3. Provide your phone number, service address, and whether you are owner or tenant.

You will be signed up within a week or so, when we next sync our records with Waste Management. 

Frequently Asked Service Questions

My cart didn't get picked up! How can I get it picked up?

To report a missed pickup, please contact WM at 425-587-0040 / 1-800-592-9995 or Please be sure to include your service address and which cart was not collected.

If your carts were not set out for pickup by 7:00am on collection day, you will be charged a return trip fee to have WM return and complete service.

I just moved here. What day is my garbage picked up?

See a map of garbage collection service days(PDF, 2MB).

If you need to start garbage collection service, please contact Utility Billing. They can also tell you your service day if you cannot identify your service day from the map.

I got a tag on my cart. What does that mean?


When drivers notice contamination - items that do not belong - in your recycling or food yard waste carts, they will put a tag on your cart informing you of the item in question. In the future, please make sure that you sort your items into the correct cart. Contamination causes problems in processing your recycling and compost.

When non-recyclable items are mixed in with the recycling, if they can be pulled out they will be thrown away; however, some contaminants are not able to be sorted and reduce the quality of the recyclable material, making it less valuable and useful. Plastic bags can also force the Recycling Center to halt operations when they get wound around the machinery and need to be cut out by hand.

When non-compostable items - especially plastic and glass - are mixed in with your yard waste and food scraps, they degrade the quality of the finished compost. No one wants plastic or sharp glass in the compost that they buy to put in their vegetable gardens.

A garbage truck woke me up this morning at 5:45 a.m. What are the residential operating hours for Waste Management?

In residential neighborhoods, operating hours are Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Please report pickups outside of Waste Management's operating hours by calling the Kirkland Recycling Hotline at 425-587-3812.

The operating hours in commercial areas is 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the exception that collection in commercial areas adjacent to residential areas is restricted to the residential operating hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

My neighbors leave their carts out on the sidewalk all week. Does Kirkland have any rules about this?

Carts-Do-3.gif Yes! Residents must remove their carts no later than 24 hours after service is provided, and may put their carts out no earlier than 24 hours before their service day, per Kirkland Municipal Code (KMC 16.08.070).

The code also encourages residents to place their carts on planter strips (where available) and requires that carts be placed out in such a manner that does not block traffic or impede people using sidewalks and bike lanes. Here are a few examples of do's and don'ts to help you be more "cart smart."

Submit a cart placement complaint through OurKirkland

A holiday is coming up. Will my garbage be collected?

Regular weekly collection is provided on all holidays except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.

If your regular collection day falls on one of these three holidays, your service will be delayed by one day. If your collection day comes later in the week after collection has been delayed because of a weekday holiday, your service will also be one day later that week. If these holidays fall on a weekend, regular residential collection schedules apply.

My garbage did not get picked up because of the weather. Could I get a credit?

No, the City of Kirkland does not issue service credits from service delayed due to inclement weather.

Customers that do not receive service due to a weather event may put out a double load of garbage, recycling, and yard/food waste on their next regular collection day at no additional cost.

This is an industry standard protocol throughout the region. No credit is provided for postponed service because service is eventually provided in full when all accumulated materials are collected and WM incurs costs related to collection and management of the material.

Check WM's Weatherboard to determine whether there are service delays.

I live out-of-state during the winter. Can I stop my service?

Vacation holds are available for a minimum length of two months. Contact Utility Billing to start a vacation hold.