Residential Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Relief Program

Apply now for financial assistance!

The City of Kirkland is partnering with Indian American Community Services (formerly India Association of Western Washington) and 4 Tomorrow to provide immediate financial assistance to Kirkland residents struggling to pay for their rent, mortgage, and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please review the following information to determine if you qualify and learn how to apply for assistance. 

Language and cultural navigators are available to help access the City’s relief programs. These programs are made possible with funds through the American Rescue Plan Act. 

  1. Review the eligibility guidelines to determine if your household meets all of the program criteria, check the documentation requirements (see below).
  2. Complete the Application Form
  3. Start to collect the required documentation.
  4. You will be contacted to complete the application and submit required documentation.
  5. Our program staff will contact your landlord, financial institution, or creditor for any necessary documentation and submit your completed application for review.
  6. Once your application is approved, you will be notified and the City of Kirkland will mail a check to your landlord (or other creditor).


Your household may be eligible if you meet all the following conditions:

  1. Resident with a home mailing address in the City of Kirkland.
  2. Experienced financial hardship as a result of COVID-19. COVID-19 financial hardship examples below:  

  • You were laid‐off from your primary place of employment as a direct result of COVID‐19.
  • You had a reduction in income as a direct result of COVID‐19.
  • You incurred significant costs directly or indirectly to COVID-19 (PPE, childcare, internet, alternative transportation).
  • You or a member of your household has been diagnosed with COVID‐19 or are experiencing symptoms of COVID‐19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
  • You are providing care for a family member or a member of your household who has been diagnosed with COVID‐19.
  • A child or other person in your household for which you have primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed as a direct result of COVID‐19 public health emergency and such school or facility care is required for you to work.
  • You are unable to reach your place of employment (or commence employment) because of imposed quarantine or self‐quarantine (at direction of health care provider) as a direct result of the COVID‐19 public health emergency.
  • You have become the primary earner or major support for a household as a direct result of COVID‐19.
  • Your place of employment is closed as a direct result of COVID‐19.
  • You left your previous housing situation to avoid housing instability and/or homelessness.
  • Without the assistance provided by this program, I would become homeless or am currently homeless.

This is a non-exhaustive list of examples of COVID-19 financial hardship. Financial hardship scenarios not included in this list will be reviewed on a case by case basis in addition to the required supporting documentation needed to qualify for assistance.

3. Household income between 0-100% of King County area median income (AMI) in the last 60 days. 


Family Size










Median: Very Low Income


















Median: Low Income




























Median: Moderate




































4. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact Housing Help at (425) 587-3326 or email:

*You do not need a Social Security number to apply for assistance through the City. 


Please review the following checklist that will help expedite the application process. After completing the intake form, applicants are encouraged to collect the following documentation while waiting to hear from program staff.

  • Proof of income
  • Copy of current lease, loan, and/or credit card statement

Apply Now

Start here: Complete the Application Form 

Once you have submitted your application, a Kirkland staff member will introduce you to the partner agency staff member assigned your case to collect income verification documents and photo id.

Have questions or need assistance? Contact Housing Help at or (425) 587-3326.


This section will be updated as we learn more about the program. Have a question that is not on here? Contact Housing Help at or (425) 587-3326.

  • I completed my application, what is the next step? 

    The City of Kirkland is partnering with Indian American Community Services and 4 Tomorrow to administer assistance. A Kirkland staff member will introduce you to the partner agency staff member assigned your case to collect income verification documents and photo id. 

  • I don’t qualify for this program, is there anywhere else I can apply for assistance?

    The City has an up to date list of available assistance programs here. 

  • Do you need a Social Security number to receive assistance?

    The City received Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds to administer this program. There are no restrictions based on immigration status to receive this assistance. Receiving assistance from this program will not impact noncitizens seeking admission to the U.S. or applying for lawful permanent resident status (green card). For more information about this, check out the National Low Income Housing Coalition’s FAQ page on eligible for emergency assistance based on immigration status. 

  • How soon will I receive assistance?

    Once program staff receive the application, required documentation, and landlord/financial institution information it is submitted to the City for final review and payment. Applicant and landlord participation will impact how quickly applications can be submitted to the City for payment. 

  • Do I need to collect the documentation required from my landlord/financial institution?

    No. Applicants will include landlord and/or financial institution information as part of the application process. Program staff will work with the landlord/financial institution to collect the required documentation. The City encourages tenants to notify their landlord that they are actively seeking assistance. If a landlord or financial institution has questions, they can contact or (425) 587-3326. 

  • I’m not sure I qualify for assistance. Who should I contact?

    Contact Housing Help at (425) 587-3326 or email:

  • I need assistance completing the intake form and/or application, who should I contact?

    Contact Housing Help at (425) 587-3326 or email:

  • How can I expedite my application?

    Collect the required documentation after you submit the intake form so you can send to program staff when they contact you about the application and next steps. 

  • I’m not currently behind on rent, but will be next month, can I sign up now?

    No. This program is for residents currently behind on rent, mortgage, and/or utility payments. 

  • I received a notice to vacate/eviction notice, what should I do?

    Contact or (425) 587-3326. 

  • I paid my rent with a credit card, do I qualify for assistance?

    Yes. Please prepare documentation from the financial institution to submit with your application. 

  • I already left my living situation but still owe unpaid rent. Do I qualify for assistance?

    Yes, if your previous living situation was in Kirkland and you are experiencing barriers to secure housing, you may qualify. 

  • My landlord has questions about the program, who should they contact?

    Contact the Housing Help team through the City of Kirkland at or (425) 587-3326. 

  • As the applicant will I receive the funds or will my landlord and/or financial institution?

    The applicant does not receive the funds directly. Program staff will work with the applicant’s landlord and/or financial institution to collect the required documentation in order to administer payment. There is a requirement for those receiving payment to notify the applicant within 5 days of receiving payment. 

  • I have arrears from before March 2020, do I qualify?

    No. For additional assistance programs check out the page here. 

  • I have received rent assistance since March 2020. Do I still qualify for this program?

Yes as long as assistance received is not duplicated. If you received assistance for May and June 2021, you would not be able to apply for May and June 2021 assistance through the City. You could apply for assistance for July through September 2021.

  • My roommate has covered my portion of the rent. I owe money to my roommate but we are not technically behind on rent. Do I qualify?

Yes. Applicant must be able to provide a lease with both parties listed on it and letter from both applicant and roommate explaining the current arrangement and how it impacts the household’s stability.