To help ensure that Downtown Kirkland visitors and customers have the best parking options in downtown Kirkland, employees of downtown businesses are encouraged to park in designated areas, managed by the City. Participation in the Downtown Employee Parking Program is free.
Starting in November 2015, employees who work for businesses in the core district of downtown Kirkland, as defined by Kirkland Municipal Code 12.45.010 (1), and choose to participate in the program need to register their vehicle. This registration allows you to park in permit only-designated areas in the Peter Kirk Municipal Garage (located under the Kirkland Library), along Lake Avenue West (signed permit parking only area), and in the Wester Lot on 3rd Ave. The stalls in the Municipal Garage are located on the lower level, lower level ramp, and in one aisle on the middle level. The Wester lot is located at 120 3rd Avenue, just to the south of City Hall.
Parking registrations are tracked with license plate reader technology which helps to reduce inappropriate parking of unauthorized vehicles.
How to register
- Download the parking registration form or the printable registration form, or pick up a form from City Hall, Public Works counter.
- Your employer must have a valid City business license and verify your employment on the registration form.
- As a downtown employee, you may register up to two vehicles.
- Bring your completed registration form to the Public Works counter at Kirkland City Hall during regular business hours. All vehicle information including license plate number is required.
- You must renew your parking registration and permit sticker each year on the date of issuance.
- Please place the permit sticker on the driver's side rear window. If the rear window is heavily tinted and hinders the visibility of the permit sticker, the alternate location is the driver's side fo the front windshield.
If you visit Kirkland outside of your work hours, please check the city's Guide to Public Parking (PDF) and plan ahead.
- Participating in the program provides free parking for downtown employees in designated areas, parking is on a first come, first serve basis and is not guaranteed.
- Per Kirkland Municipal Code 12.45.250, downtown employees are not allowed to park in areas not designated for employee parking.
- If registering two vehicles only one vehicle can be parked in a downtown employee designated area at a time. If two members of a household share the same vehicles it is recommended that they register the vehicles separately.
- The employee is responsible for updating the information for registering vehicles if the information changes.
- Please wait two business days or receipt of confirmation email before using the parking permit to allow staff time to process your parking registration.