The City recognizes that walking, biking, and riding the bus to school not only benefits children’s physical and social health but also improves circulation and safety in and around schools.
School enrollments are up 26% throughout the Lake Washington School District throughout the last 10 years, and projections suggest that these trends will continue to increase, with an additional 2,000 students expected by 2022. Due to this regional growth, more traffic is converging on schools at arrival and pick-up times. This leads to poor traffic circulation, congestion, inadequate parking and often unsafe conditions.
To address these issues, the City Council adopted the development of a “Safer Routes to School Action Plan” for each neighborhood in Kirkland as a part of the City’s 2019-2020 Work Program. The City Manager directed staff to work in partnership with the Lake Washington School District, law enforcement, design professionals, students, parents and neighborhoods to identify key steps to make walking, biking and riding the bus to school safer, more convenient and fun. In short, staff needs your input.
Each Action Plan will:
- locate and define primary and secondary routes for walking, biking and riding the bus to school;
- identify, prioritize and develop cost estimates for safety improvements on primary and secondary routes;
- determine innovative ways to improve traffic circulation, congestion and safety in and around schools through education and enforcement;
- recommend effective techniques to increase the number of children walking, biking, and riding the bus to school;
- ensure the under-served children, low-income children, recent immigrants and children with disabilities are involved and being served;
- develop a prioritization criterion, funding strategy for implementing each action plan item;
- layout obtainable goals and performance measures.
Capital Projects Recently Completed
School walk routes include:
Elementary School Walk Route Enhancements
- SANDBURG: Northeast 132nd Street (north side), from 84th to 87th avenues northeast
- MARK TWAIN: Northeast 104th Street (south side), from 132nd to 126th avenues northeast
- MARK TWAIN: 126th Avenue Northeast (west side), from Northeast 90th to Northeast 94th streets
- PETER KIRK: Northeast 95th Street (north side), from 116th to 112th avenues northeast
- PETER KIRK: 111th Avenue Northeast (east side), from Northeast 100th to 104th streets
124th Avenue Northeast Improvements
- MARK TWAIN: 124th Avenue Northeast (west side), Northeast 90th Street to approximately Northeast 113th street