WHAT: The City of Kirkland completed a section of walkway in 2020 that will improve access to Peter Kirk Elementary School. C.A. Carey Construction built the walkway in the Highlands neighborhood along 111th Avenue Northeast, between Northeast 100th Place and the 104th block of 111th Avenue Northeast.
WHY: Because of the many benefits of walking, encouraging children to walk to school is a long-standing priority of the Kirkland City Council, as reflected in the Transportation Master Plan and the Capital Improvement Program. Walking to school is linked to improved health, reduction in chronic diseases readiness to learn and academic achievement and a reduction in behavior problems in children. Walking to school also reduces traffic congestion around schools.
The completed school walk route projects include:
- PETER KIRK: 111th Avenue Northeast (west side), from Northeast 100th to 104th streets
- MARK TWAIN: Northeast 104th Street (south side), from 132nd to 126th avenues northeast
- MARK TWAIN: 126th Avenue Northeast (west side), from Northeast 90th to Northeast 94th streets
- PETER KIRK: Northeast 95th Street (north side), from 116th to 112th avenues northeast
- ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL: 108th Avenue Northeast (east side), from Northeast 112th to 116th streets
- JUANITA: 94th Avenue Northeast (east side), from Northeast 124th to 128th streets
- MARK TWAIN: 126th Avenue Northeast, from Northeast 85th Street to Northeast 90th Street
- PETER KIRK: 100th Street, from 112th Avenue Northeast to 116th Avenue Northeast
- A.G. BELL: 112th Avenue Northeast, from 120th Avenue to the Cross Kirkland Corridor
- LAKEVIEW: West side of 104th Avenue NE and North side of NE 67th Street
- JUANITA: West side of 97th Place NE from NE 128th Street to NE 129th Place near Juanita Elementary.
- A.G. BELL: East side of 110th Avenue NE from NE 116th Street leading into the back entrance of AG Bell Elementary.
- PETER KIRK: West side of 6th Street from 13th Avenue and 15th Avenue near Peter Kirk Elementary.
- PETER KIRK: North side of 12th Avenue NE from 6th Street and back entrance to School.
- PETER KIRK: East side of 116th Avenue NE from NE 87th Street to NE 100th Street.
- MARK TWAIN: West side of 130th Ave NE adjacent to Mark Twain Elementary.
- ROSE HILL: South side of NE 80th Street from 130th Avenue NE to 128th Avenue NE near Rose Hill Elementary.
- LAKEVIEW: East side of 103rd Avenue NE, eliminate gaps between NE 64th Street and NE 67th Street near Lakeview Elementary.
- BEN FRANKLIN: North side of NE 60th Street from 116th Avenue NE to 132nd Avenue NE.
- BEN FRANKLIN: East side of 125th Avenue NE just south of NE 70th and north of NE 65th Lane to north of NE 65th Place near Ben Franklin Elementary. New crosswalks will be installed along 122nd Avenue NE at NE 62nd Street and NE 61st Street.
Thanks to the 2012 Street Levy, the City has an additional $150,000 per year to help leverage State and Federal funding to increase safe routes to Kirkland elementary and middle schools