Zoning Code FAQ

What is the easiest way to find out my zoning?

The easiest way to find your zoning is to use Kirkland Maps.  Click on the 'Task' tab then the  ‘Address’ button in the  toolbar and fill in your address.  The zoning will show if you click on the Parcel and Permit History link. 

Virtual appointments are here! To help answer your general development and permitting questions, the City of Kirkland Development Services now provides virtual appointments with Planning and Building, and Public Works staff.

 Schedule Appointment Now!

Where can I find the zoning requirements for my property?

If you have found your zoning by using Kirkland Maps, you can click on the “Parcel Zoning” link to be taken to the zoning requirements in the online Kirkland Zoning Code

Where do I start in the chapter?

Always start with the Permitted Uses table.  If your use is permitted, remember:  “To click is free; check all 3!” There are 3 tables in each chapter (Permitted uses, Density/Dimensions, and Development Standards); you’ll need to look at all of them. And don’t forget to look at the General Regulations, too!




The Permitted Uses Table has a roman numeral in the column for my zone.  What does that mean?

If there is a roman numeral with or without a letter (i.e. I, IIA, IIB) then there is a Required Review Process or a special land use permit required.  If this is the case, you’ll want to get in touch with the Planning Department (see the sidebar for how to contact the Planning Department).  If the column says “None” then you may only need a building permit.

What do the numbers within the tables mean?

The numbers are ‘linked’ to the Special Regulations that apply.  Special Regulations are detailed or unique requirements.  They are also listed right after each of the tables. 

Do General Regulations have the same weight as Special Regulations?

Yes, always check and see if there are General Regulations for your zone (not every zone has them).  They are located before the Permitted Uses Table at the beginning of the chapters.


How do I determine the setback requirements for my use?

To find setback requirements, read across the Density/Dimensions Table from your use to the Required Yards columns.  There may be a default dimension for all zones, or a dimension specified for your particular zone.


If the table shows the maximum lot coverage is 60% (for example) but then a different percentage is shown for a couple of zones, how do I know which zones are 60%?

In this example, the default lot coverage percentage is 60% for all of the zones that are included in the chapter except for the couple of zones where a different percentage is shown in the column.


Where are the building height regulations?

Building height regulations are in the Maximum Height of Structure Column on the far right of the Density/Dimensions Table.  Kirkland measures height above Average Building Elevation which is calculated from a formula.  The formula is explained in KZC 115.59

How do I determine the landscaping, sign regulations or parking requirements for my use?

All of these standards are in the Development Standards Tables.  Remember to check first in the Permitted Uses Table to make sure your use is permitted before looking here.


How do I print a code section?

To print a code section, open the Kirkland Zoning Code and follow the instructions in the far left gray column. “Click on the checkboxes to select the sections, chapters and/or titles and press the Print/Save Selections button.” 

How do I email a code section to someone?

To email a section, open the chapter and section and click on the envelope or “share” button to the right of the section title.  Select your preferred email application from the "share" button to start your email with the section attached.KZC-Share-Icon.png