Every year, the Kirkland Youth Council is allocated funds that are to be used for teen related mini grants. The purpose of these grants is to provide short-term, limited funding to schools, groups, and community organizations for projects, activities, events, and training that benefit Kirkland Youth. Members of KYC review the requests and make funding recommendations. Program requests are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed three times per year; October, January, and April. Apply on online.
Who Can Apply for a Mini Grant?
Any non-profit organization, school, or individual with a project that benefits Kirkland teens may submit an application for consideration. Each organization/group that applies must submit the name of an adult (must be over 18) who will be responsible for any and all paper work. Typical applying groups/organizations include school-based clubs, PTSA groups, and community based groups.
- Activities must primarily serve residents of Kirkland.
- Activities must be limited to youth (ages 12-19 or grades 6th – 12th) participants and/or their parents/guardians with a minimum of 15 Kirkland residents served.
- Activities must not be used as a means of generating profit for the applicant.
- Activities must comply with all relevant laws and City ordinances and the applicant must be able to secure any permits that may be necessary to undertake the activity.
- Applicants must demonstrate a non-discrimination policy.
- Applicants must adhere to a sound and accepted management, business, and accounting practices.
- Applicants must secure and document matching funds equal to or greater than the funds that are requested from the City. Matching funds can be in the form of staff time, other grants, facility use, in-kind donations, etc.
- For school-based programs, requests cannot be made to supplement existing academic programs. All programs must be afterschool, club, or special event related activities.
- Each program can receive funding once per calendar year (January – December).
Application Review Criteria
Submitted requests will be evaluated by a team of Kirkland Youth Council members. The review committee will consider the following:
- Applications that are thoroughly completed – all responses clearly illustrated
- Program demonstrates ability to meet need/interest of Kirkland teens
- Program meets key eligibility requirements – i.e. number of teens served, non-academic program, matching funds
- Prudent budget – do the expenses seem reasonable?
Requirements for Award Recipients
Applicants who receive funding must:
- Complete a summary report of funded project.
- Submit appropriate receipts and documentation prior to receiving grant payment (reimbursement basis only).
- Include the City of Kirkland on all promotional material.
- Notify the Kirkland Youth Council two weeks in advance of any public events funded by the grant.
- Receive pre-approval from the City of Kirkland for any changes to the original proposed grant expenses