Our annual new member recruitment is now underway!
Applications will be accepted through 5 pm, Friday, September 24, 2021. Apply here.
Who Can Apply to Join Kirkland Youth Council?
Candidates that meet the following guidelines are eligible:
- Must be in grade 6-12 or age 12-18.
- Must attend a Kirkland based school or reside within Kirkland City limits.
- Must be willing to represent the interest of teens in Kirkland.
- Must be able and willing to give a minimum of 35 hours of service during a school year, including evenings and weekends.
How Are New Members Selected?
Submitted applications are reviewed by a group of current Kirkland Youth Council members. After careful review and consideration, the group will determine which candidates will be invited for an interview in early October. After interviews are completed, new members are selected.
Guidelines for the selection process are as follows:
- The selection committee shall consist of the current KYC Leadership members and if necessary, other Kirkland Youth Council members.
- The selection committee will be fully committed to achieving a diverse council that represents all social, cultural, ethnic, gender, age, and sexual orientation groups that are a part of Kirkland’s youth population.
- Kirkland Youth Council will not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, cultural, ethnic, or social group.
- Youth and Human Services staff members serve in an advisory and supportive capacity during the selection process and have no voting privileges.
- Selection of new Kirkland Youth Council members is made on the basis of the KYC application and interviews.
- Selection of new members is determined primarily upon the following criteria: commitment, reliability, enthusiasm, desire to serve the community, and leadership skills.