The Kirkland Bureau of Fire Prevention has 5 staff members: The Fire Marshal, one Assistant Fire Marshal and three Fire Inspector/Investigators.
The Fire Investigation Team is also part of the Fire Prevention Bureau. Headed by the Fire Marshal, the Fire Investigation Unit (FIU) consists of 7 dual role investigators (6 from the Fire Department and 1 from the Police Department).
Our mission is to create a safe environment for our residents and our business community. We strive to prevent injury and loss of life and property through the following activities:
- Plan review and permit issuance for new construction
and fire protection systems
- Inspections of new construction and fire protection
- Issuance of operational permits for activities regulated
by the International Fire Code
- Annual fire/life safety inspections in existing buildings
- Investigation of fires to determine origin and cause
- Code and policy development and interpretation
- Publication of operating policies and fire safety information bulletins
- Adult Education*
- Safe Child Education*
For general inspection and fire code questions contact inspectors at Fireinspector@kirklandwa.gov or call 425-587-3661. We will attempt to return inquiries within 2 business days.
Construction, IFC, and fire system permits may be accessed online at mybuildingpermit.com.
Beginning on February 1, 2020 the Kirkland Fire Department (KFD) will be improving the process of documenting and tracking fire and life safety systems in buildings. Click here to view a letter from the Fire Marshal (pdf) describing the benefits of this new program. Effective February 1st, the Kirkland Fire Department will only accept inspection and testing reports electronically via The Compliance Engine's online system at www.thecomplianceengine.com