False Alarm Reduction Program

In an effort to reduce false alarms, Chapter 21.35A of the Kirkland Municipal Code states that after July 1, 2006, no person shall operate an alarm system on any premise within the City of Kirkland without registration.  This applies to both monitored and non-monitored security systems.  Please determine if your alarm system is within city limits before submitting registration forms and fees. Residents over 62 must register their systems but are exempt from fees/fines unless they operate a business out of their homes.

You can download the Alarm Registration Application(PDF, 85KB)  or Alarm Renewal Application.  The information provided on this form will be made available to dispatchers to expedite the appropriate Police response. The code allows for a progressive response from police for repeat false alarms. 


Why do I need to renew my alarm each year?

To ensure:

  • The business and/or homeowner is still located at that address
  • The alarm company and emergency contact information is current
  • The phone numbers and contact information for the owner are up to date
  • Renewal fee is $25.00 annually - Permit valid January 1 through December 31.


What is a false alarm?

Any alarm caused by human error or equipment problems resulting in police response, with no evidence of an actual crime having been committed. This does not include alarms caused by violent actions of nature or other extraordinary circumstances not reasonably subject to control by the alarm user or alarm business.


How does a false alarm impact the community?

  • Take police away from community policing activities and other real emergencies.
  • Lead neighbors to ignore your alarm when it goes off. Your system becomes less reliable and less credible.
  • Will cost you fines and will suspend police response after the 6th alarm.
  • False alarms create a potential danger to citizens and officers responding to the call.


Is there a way to appeal a false alarm?

The alarm user may appeal the validity of a false alarm in writing. This appeal must be filed with The City Clerk within 15 business days of the notice of suspension. The City of Kirkland Hearing Examiner will hear all appeals.


How can I assist?

  • Make sure your house numbers are easily visible from the street, day & night. If your system is monitored, be sure to give specific driving directions to your alarm monitoring company.
  • Be sure your alarm company decal is located near the front door and is easily visible. For non-monitored systems, be sure to post the phone number of a person who has the authority to turn off the alarm.
  • Update your list of emergency contacts with the police department if there are changes or at the time of annual renewal.