Website Linking Policy
Records & Communication
Effective Date: September 1, 2008
This policy recognizes that it may be desirable to include links on the City of Kirkland Websites to other websites that are outside of the control of the City of Kirkland. The inclusion of such links on the City of Kirkland web site is for the convenience of visitors to the site or to help the public obtain timely information about a specific topic, and is primarily intended to be directly in context to specific site content.
This policy applies to the City of Kirkland official Web site and all pages and subsidiary websites operated and maintained by the City including, but not limited to, the following:
The City also participates in several regional initiatives listed below and web-based projects in which the City has shared control over what links are provided:
Department Web Lead:
is a representative from a City department who assists in uploading content to webpages associated with the department he/she supports.
is the staff person who develops (writes) content for a webpage.
is the person tasked with the management, administration and operation of the City of Kirkland website and other city owned web technologies. The Webmaster is in the Applications Division of the Information Technology Department.
Some examples of links to outside agencies which might be posted on City of Kirkland websites:
- Other governments, special purpose districts, hospitals and public educational institutions in the State of Washington, including individual school websites.
- Human service agencies that receive direct financial support from the City of Kirkland via contracted services.
- Approved sponsors of City sponsored projects or events that are available only inside the promotional or descriptive material about those projects or events provided they meet the requirements of the Business Sponsorship Policy.
- Community partners or collaborative non-profit organizations actively participating in one or more public service programs such as those that support human services, disaster preparedness, literacy, or domestic violence prevention.
- Websites created by a project applicant(s) or their representative(s) whose development or redevelopment proposal
- will receive review by the Planning Commission, Design Review Board, Planned Unit Development Review Team, or other city sanctioned advisory board; and
- is anticipated to generate significant public interest; and
- for which the City has created an informational page on its official website.
These are meant to be examples and not to be an inclusive list. In general, the City does not intend to maintain lists of links to local for-profit businesses, local weblogs, or other generalized links that are well-served through use of commercial search engines.
Any information obtained from an external website is not guaranteed by the City of Kirkland and the user should review the accuracy of any information before relying upon it. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the City of Kirkland or any association between the City and the operators of the site. Refer to the City’s Site Privacy & Security Notice.
Links to external content on web pages operated by the City of Kirkland will be permitted at the City’s sole discretion and placed appropriately as determined by the City of Kirkland. The City of Kirkland does not accept or respond to outside link solicitations or mutual linking requests.
- Content Guidelines: In determining whether to allow external content links on the Web site it operates, the City of Kirkland will be guided by the purpose of the City’s Web site.
- Website Purpose: The City of Kirkland web site is intended to provide a broad range of useful information that enhances the connection between City government and local citizens, and to serve as a resource for people who are interested in, or need the details of our organization, community, and region.
- The departmental web representative in consultation with the webmaster (will determine whether external content meets the purposes of the City of Kirkland web site.
- Generally, external content does not meet the purposes of the City of Kirkland web site if the content contains, suggests, or infers any of the following. (This list is a nonexclusive list.):
- Disparaging or promoting any person or class of persons.
- Content not suitable for visitors of all ages, or links to or other promotion of businesses whose products or services are not suitable for persons of all ages.
- Promoting or inciting illegal, violent, or socially undesirable conduct.
- Promotion or availability of alcohol or tobacco products.
- Promotion or availability of illegal drugs.
- Promotion or availability of adult or sexually oriented entertainment or materials.
- Promotion, opposition, or availability of weapons.
- Promotion, opposition, or availability of gambling.
- Promotion of any religion or religious viewpoint
- Advocacy of or opposition to any political candidate(s).
- Claims of efficacy, suitability, desirability, or other non-objective statements about businesses, products, or services.
- Content that is primarily directed at sales of any specific service or product that is not in context to an article. For example, a link to a retail establishment’s main page would probably not be included, but a developer’s page about a particular development under consideration for Kirkland might appear in context to an article or page about development.
- Content that infringes on any trademark, copyright, or patent rights of another.
- Claims or representations in violation of advertising or consumer protection laws.
- Content that a reasonable citizen may not consider to maintain the dignity and decorum appropriate for government.
- Oversight and Monitoring: If there is a question about interpretation of this policy, it will go to the Webmaster first to be resolved. If the Webmaster can’t resolve it, then it will go to the Chief Information officer, and if Chief Information Officer can’t resolve it, then it will be resolved by the City Attorney’s Office.
The Webmaster, Department Web Lead or Content Creator for any page which has external links is required to review the links at least quarterly for applicability and functionality.
Additionally the webmaster and web production staff will do periodic site wide reviews of link policy compliance.
For more information, contact:
123 5th Ave Kirkland, WA 98033