Skip to main content
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Planning FAQs

Q:  Which zoning code requirements apply to a remodel or construction of a new single-family residence and/or structures accessory to a single-family residence (such as a detached garage, mother-in-law units, etc.)?

The zoning regulations that apply to single-family residences and their accessory structures are found throughout the Zoning Code.  A handout has been created to help summarize these requirements. 

Q:  What do I need to know if I want to subdivide or short plat my property?

Subdividing or short platting property involves a review of the City's Planning, Fire, and Public Works Department through a zoning permit process.  In order to short plat or subdivide property, the first step is to determine if the subject property contains enough lot area to meet the minimum lot size standards for the zoning district in which the property is located.  Other topics reviewed include vehicular access, environmentally sensitive areas, and tree retention.  For information regarding these topics, you can contact the Planning Department at 425.587.3600 and ask to speak to a planner.

Public Works reviews for adequate utility service (water, sewer, storm) and street improvements.  Their main number is 425.587.3800.

The Fire Department reviews the a short plat or subdivision in terms of fire access and meeting fire codes.  Their main number is 425.587.3650.

Q: What are the fees charged for Planning and Building Department permits/zoning permits?
A: Fees for Planning permits vary, depending on the type and complexity of the permit being issued.

Q: Do I need a permit to remove trees?  What are the regulations for tree removal in Kirkland?

A: Click on this link to view tree removal regulations.  For trees on City-owned property or within street and alley rights-of-way, contact the Planning and Building Department at 425.587.3600.

Q: What is the status of my permit?  Which planner has been assigned to my permit?

A: To view your permit visit MyBuildingPermit.comlinks to external site. Otherwise, for the status of a Building or a Zoning Permit, please contact the Planning and Building Department at 425.587.3600. It is helpful to the permit technicians if you know either the permit number or the property address.

Q: How can I get in touch with a planner to ask general questions?

A: A Planner is available to answer general questions at the Planning and Building Department front counter Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except on Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m, where the Development Services counter is closed.

You can either visit or call the City of Kirkland Planning and Building Department at City Hall located at 123 5th Avenue. The phone number is 425.587.3600. When calling, please inform the office technician that you have a zoning question. Your call will be routed to the Planner on duty. You may also email general inquiries to

If a Planner has been assigned to a specific project, you may contact the planner directly and make an appointment to discuss the project. The Planner working at the front counter or the office technician can tell you which planner is assigned to a specific project.

Q:  How can I schedule a pre-submittal meeting with a planner to discuss a specific project?

A:  To request a pre-submittal meeting, you will need to complete a pre-submittal application form and submit the required information along with the pre-submittal meeting fee.  For projects requiring a permit, please submit the application materials to the Planning and Building Department. 

Q: When is the next public meeting of the Hearing Examiner, Planning Commission, Houghton Community Council, City Council, and/or Design Review Board?

A: City Council:Contact the City Clerk’s Office at 425.587.3197 City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM. 

Planning Commission meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM.

Houghton Community Council meets the 4th Monday of the month at 7:00 PM.

Hearing Examiner hearings are held on the 1st Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM and the 3rd Thursday of the month at 9:00 AM.

Design Review Board meetings are held (when needed) on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m.

PLANNING COMMISSION, HEARING EXAMINER, HOUGHTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL: Contact the Planning and Building Department at 425.587.3600.  City Council, Planning Commission, Houghton Community Council, and Hearing Examiner meetings are held in the Council Chambers of Kirkland City Hall (123 5th Avenue, Kirkland).

You may also view the Planning Dept. public meeting calendar.  This calendar is subject to change on a daily basis.  It does not constitute legal notice.  To verify meeting information contact the Planning and Building Department at 425.587.3600.

Q: How does code enforcement work within the City of Kirkland?

A: Generally, code enforcement of the City of Kirkland Zoning Code is initiated when a citizen submits a written complaint to the Planning Department. Except for emergency situations involving activities which must be stopped immediately to prevent irreparable harm, all complaints must be signed and submitted either by letter or complaint form.

File a complaint on-line at Our Kirkland.

Planning & Building Department
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries:
Contact us via the: 
Our Kirkland Customer Service Portal
T. 425.587.3600 | F. 425.587.3232