Skip to main content
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Reformatted Zoning Code FAQ

What is the easiest way to find out my zoning?
The easiest way to find your zoning is to use Kirkland Maps.  Click on ‘Address’ in the toolbar and fill in your address.  The zoning will show if you click on the Parcel and Permit History link. 
GIS toolbar
Back to top

Where can I find the zoning requirements for my property?

If you have found your zoning by using Kirkland Maps, you can click on the “Parcel Zoning” link to be taken to the zoning requirements in the online Kirkland Zoning Code

Back to top

Where do I start in the chapter?

Always start with the Permitted Uses table.  If your use is permitted, remember:  “To click is free; check all 3!” There are 3 tables in each chapter; you’ll need to look at all of them. And don’t forget to look at the General Regulations, too!

Zoning Code permitted uses table

Zoning Code density table

Zoning Code development standards table
Back to top

The Permitted Uses Table has a roman numeral in the column for my zone.  What does that mean?

If there is a roman numeral with or without a letter (i.e. I, IIA, IIB) then there is a Required Review Process or a special land use permit required.  If this is the case, you’ll want to get in touch with the Planning Department (see the last question for how to contact the Planning Department).  If the column says “None” then you may only need a building permit.
Back to top

What do the numbers within the tables mean?

The numbers are ‘linked’ to the Special Regulations that apply.  Special Regulations are detailed or unique requirements.  They are also listed right after the tables.
Back to top

Do General Regulations have the same weight as Special Regulations?
Yes, always check and see if there are General Regulations for your zone (not every zone has them).  They are located before the Permitted Uses Table at the beginning of the chapters.

Zoning Code general regulations table
Back to top

How do I determine the setback requirements for my use?
To find setback requirements, read across the Density/Dimensions Table from your use to the Required Yards columns.  There may be a default dimension for all zones, or a dimension specified for your particular zone.

Zoning Code density table
Back to top

If the table shows the maximum lot coverage is 60% (for example) but then a different percentage is shown for a couple of zones, how do I know which zones are 60%?
In this example, the default lot coverage percentage is 60% for all of the zones that are included in the chapter except for the couple of zones where a different percentage is shown in the column.

Zoning Code max lot coverage table
Back to top

Where are the building height regulations?
Building height regulations are in the Maximum Height of Structure Column on the far right of the Density/Dimensions Table.  Kirkland measures height above Average Building Elevation which is calculated from a formula.  The formula is explained in KZC 115.59.
Back to top

How do I determine the landscaping, sign regulations or parking requirements for my use?
All of these standards are in the Development Standards Tables.  Remember to check first in the Permitted Uses Table to make sure your use is permitted before looking here.

Zoning Code development standards table
Back to top

How do I print a code section?
To print a code section, open the KZC and follow the instructions in the far left gray column. “Click on the checkboxes to select the sections, chapters and/or titles and press the Print/Save Selections button.”
Back to top

How do I email a code section to someone?
To email a section, open the chapter and section and click on the “share” button to the right of the section title.  Select “email App” to start your email with the section attached.
Zoning Code share button
Back to top

How can I get more help?
Call: 425.587.3600 Mon. - Fri. 8 AM -5 PM
Visit: City Hall at 123 Fifth Avenue, Kirkland, WA 98033.  
The Planning and Building Department counter is open Mon. - Fri. 8 AM -5 PM except on Wednesday the counter opens at 10:30 AM. 
Back to top

Planning & Building Department
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries:
Building Questions
Planning Questions
T. 425.587.3600 | F. 425.587.3232