Market, Norkirk, Highlands Neighborhood Plan & Market Street Corridor Plan Update 2019-2020
Neighborhood Plan Schedule February 19, 2019
Meeting materials prepared for the Planning Commission on this topic can be accessed on the Planning Commission's web site.
Janice Coogan, Senior Planner
Kirkland Planning and Building Dept.
123 5th Ave.
Kirkland WA, 98033
To be notified when this page is updated, please sign up for the
2019-2020 Market, Norkirk, Highlands Plan and Market Street Corridor Neighborhood Plan Amendments List Serv
File No: CAM19-00112
In 2019-2020, the City of Kirkland Planning and Building Department, in coordination with the neighborhood associations in each area, is tasked with updating the Market, Norkirk and Highlands Neighborhood Plans and Market Street Corridor Plan. The purpose of a neighborhood plan is to establish a vision for each neighborhood over the next 20 years in context with the citywide goals and policies in the Comprehensive Plan. Now is a good opportunity for residents, property owners and business owners within these three neighborhoods to influence the future growth of these areas.
The goal is to combine the public involvement and planning process into one consolidated process to hear what people would like to see revised in their neighborhood plans. Throughout 2019-2020, staff will meet with the joint Working Group, attend neighborhood association meetings, provide opportunities to attend public meetings, workshops, participate in an online survey to discuss potential issues in the neighborhood like land use, environment, transportation and other topics. Study sessions and a public hearing will be held with the Planning Commission. Based on public input, the Commission will make a recommendation on each plan to City Council for final adoption. For more information see the Neighborhood Planning Framework document
As of February, we are in the process of:
- Assembling City staff team, project scope, and schedule for 2019.
- Recruiting for joint Working Group members composed of chairs/co-chairs or other representatives from each neighborhood. The Group will function as a sounding board for staff and be active participants in the planning process.
- Designing public outreach opportunities such as future public workshops, open house and surveys.
No meetings are currently scheduled. Check the City’s Public Meeting Calendar on the City of Kirkland website at https://www.kirklandwa.gov for Planning Commission study sessions or other public meetings.
Public Involvement Opportunities
Here’s how you can participate in the neighborhood planning process:
- Subscribe to receive email announcements (see box)
- Participate in the online survey (in the works)
- Address or attend Planning Commission study sessions - see Planning Commission webpage for meeting dates.
- Do you have a topic or issue that you would like the City and Planning Commission to study during the process? Submit your ideas with a brief description (in email or letter) April 8, 2019 to Janice Coogan (contact information below). Topics may include such issues as: changes in land use or zoning, desired pedestrian or bicycle connections etc.
- Requests for land use/rezone changes. Application form is being developed.
- Submit written comments to the Planning Commission at PlanningCommissioners@kirklandwa.gov
For more information contact: Janice Coogan, Kirkland Planning and Building Department firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-587-3257.
Below are links to the existing neighborhood and corridor plans within the Comprehensive Plan:
Market Neighborhood Plan
Norkirk Neighborhood Plan
Highlands Neighborhood Plan
Market Street Corridor Plan