Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page


SF Recycling Guide cover
Download our Recycling Guide (pdf, 2mb)
Questions? Contact (425) 587-3812 or

Para información en Español: 1 (800) 592-9995
Recomendaciones para basura (pdf)

한국어 / Korean (pdf)
አማርኛ / Amharic (pdf)
Русский / Russian (pdf)
繁體中文 / Chinese (pdf)
Af Soomaali / Somali (pdf)
Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese (pdf)
हिन्दी / Hindi (pdf)

What can I put in my green cart?
All your trash should be bagged and placed in your green cart (see links for drop-off recycling options for certain items). 
Trash Cart

Please double bag pet waste / kitty litter, packing peanuts, and cold ashes.

Additional trash that doesn't fit in your cart with the lid closed may be subject to a charge. You can place extra garbage next to your cart for a charge (up to 32 gallons of garbage per charge).

What shouldn't go in my trash?

Hazardous Waste
Hazardous waste, including CFL bulbs, batteries, oil-based paint, chemicals, pesticides, propane tanks, and automobile fluids, do not belong in the trash. Bring them to these locations for proper disposal:

  • Factoria Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Sitelinks to external site
    There is no cost for disposal of hazardous material.
  • Hazardous Wastemobilelinks to external site
    The roving Wastemobile travels to communities throughout King County on a periodic basis, offering a local option for disposal of hazardous waste. The Wastemobile typically comes to Kirkland in May. There is no cost for disposal of hazardous material.

Do not throw away or flush unwanted medicine. Safely dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medicine at secure medicine return kiosks in Kirkland.

Sharps should be collected in a 2-liter bottle and disposed at safe drop locationslinks to external site in King County, which include a drop box in Bellevue and the Shoreline Transfer Station.

While composting your food is not mandatory in Kirkland, we encourage you to keep food out of the trash and put it in your food and yard waste cart instead. Due to the low-oxygen conditions of the landfill, food sits in the landfill for years before it decomposeslinks to external site.

Recycle electronics with our free curbside electronics recycling program or at E-Cycle Washington drop-off sites.

What should I do with oversize items?
Oversize items, like mattresses and unusable furniture, can be disposed of as trash for a chargelinks to external site at King County Transfer Stations. In Kirkland, the Houghton Transfer Stationlinks to external site is located in the Bridle Trails neighborhood. Recycling options for oversize items, including appliances and oversize scrap metal, are available at the Factoria Transfer Stationlinks to external site in Bellevue and the Shoreline Transfer Stationlinks to external site in Shoreline.

Waste Management offers bulky collection curbside for a chargelinks to external site.

Where does my trash go?
Trash does not get sorted after the collection truck picks it up. The same day it's picked up, it goes to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in Maple Valley where it is buried and sits for years. Because we have limited amount of unoccupied land for landfills, it is important that everything that we put in the trash are things that really cannot be recycled or compostedlinks to external site.
Cedar Hills Landfill

Public Works
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033
T. 425-587-3800 | F. 425-587-3807
Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Operations & Maintenance
915 8th St, Kirkland WA 98033
T. 425-587-3900 24/7 | F. 425-587-3902
Mon-Fri, 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

General Inquiries - Contact us via the: 
Our Kirkland Customer Service Portal