Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page


What can I put in my green dumpster or cart?
All your trash should be bagged and placed in your green dumpster or cart (see links for drop-off recycling options for certain items). 
Trash Cart

  • Non-recyclable plastic (wrappers, plastic bags, Styrofoam, straws, dirty plastic, etc.)
  • Non-recyclable glass (all glass that's not a bottle or jar)
  • Non-recyclable paper (dirty paper, shiny paper plates, glitter wrapping paper, hardcover books, etc.)
  • Non-recyclable metal (foil, sharp metal items, chains, small lids, etc.)
  • Miscellaneous (latex paint (dry out before putting in trash), cooking oil / fat, textiles, cool ashes (double bag), cords, etc.)
  • Hygiene and waste (diapers, pet waste, kitty litter (double bag), used tissues, etc.)

Download the complete guide (pdf, 2mb). Still not sure where your item should go? Check with us at our Recycling Hotline, by emailing or calling (425) 587-3812.

Please double bag pet waste/kitty litter, packing peanuts, and cold ashes.

What shouldn't go in my trash?

Hazardous Waste
Hazardous waste, including CFL bulbs, batteries, oil-based paint, chemicals, pesticides, propane tanks, and automobile fluids, do not belong in the trash. Bring them to these locations for proper disposal:

  • Factoria Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Sitelinks to external site
    There is no cost for disposal of hazardous material.
  • Hazardous Wastemobilelinks to external site
    The roving Wastemobile travels to communities throughout King County on a periodic basis, offering a local option for disposal of hazardous waste. The Wastemobile typically comes to Kirkland in May. There is no cost for disposal of hazardous material.

Do not throw away or flush unwanted medicine. Safely dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medicine at secure medicine return kiosks in Kirkland.

Sharps should be collected in a 2-liter bottle and disposed at safe drop locationslinks to external site in King County, which include a drop box in Bellevue and the Shoreline Transfer Station.

Recycle electronics at E-Cycle Washington drop-off sites, including Goodwill in Juanita and Value Village in Totem Lake.

What should I do with oversize items?
Oversize items, like mattresses and unusable furniture, can be disposed of as trash for a chargelinks to external site at King County Transfer Stations. In Kirkland, the Houghton Transfer Stationlinks to external site is located in the Bridle Trails neighborhood. Recycling options for oversize items, including appliances and oversize scrap metal, are available at the Factoria Transfer Stationlinks to external site in Bellevue and the Shoreline Transfer Stationlinks to external site in Shoreline.

Where does my trash go?
Trash does not get sorted after the collection truck picks it up. The same day it's picked up, it goes to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in Maple Valley where it is buried and sits for years. Because we have limited amount of unoccupied land for landfills, it is important that everything that we put in the trash are things that really cannot be recycled or compostedlinks to external site.
Cedar Hills Landfill


Public Works
Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033
Operations & Maintenance
Mon-Fri, 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
915 8th St, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries

Engineering: T. 425.587.3800 | F. 425.587.3807
Operations & Maintenance: T. 425.587.3900 | F. 425.587.3902