Safety is the first goal in Kirkland’s Transportation Master Plan which includes a policy to develop a Vision Zero safety plan that is multi-disciplinary and focuses on innovative approaches to safety.
The main premise of Vision Zero is that life takes priority on our streets, that traffic deaths are preventable and can be addressed with roadway design but that human behaviors, with enforcement, education and encouragement are essential to a safe system. Kirkland has made great strides with designing a safer roadway system for all users, but we are still seeing injuries and fatalities, even in places that have already been designed to be safer.
The Vision Zero Action Plan will:
- A statement and commitment from Leadership
- Highlight Kirkland’s history of safety improvements already implemented
- Demonstrate the analysis of Kirkland’s crash data which will include maps, common crash types and causes, high-priority issues, etc.
- Findings from what we hear from the public
- High-priority recommended capital improvements
- An outline of other key actions the city will take to improve safety
- A communication plan to engage the public
Community Engagement: Fall 2019 – Winter 2020
Analysis and Plan Development: Winter – Spring 2020
Draft Plan – Engagement with Community and Leadership: Summer – Fall 2020
Final Plan and Council Adoption: Fall – Winter 2020
Vision Zero Network Resources