Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Online Reporting FAQ

What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?
If your incident is an emergency or in-progress, call 911.  If non-emergency, call 425-577-5656.

What if this happened in another city?  Can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?
No.  If a crime took place outside of the City of Kirkland, please call the police department for that city.

What if this happened on Interstate 405?
If an incident occurred on a state freeway, please call Washington State Patrol at 425-401-7788.

What is a known suspect?
A known suspect is when you know the person(s) responsible for the crime, where the person(s) responsible are located, or the license plate of an associated vehicle.

Can I get a copy of my report?
At the end of the filing process, you will be given a chance to print a copy of what you submitted.  Once a police supervisor has approved your report, a copy of it will be emailed to you automatically.  Your police case number will be on that approved report.  You can also request a copy of your police report through our Records Unit.

What if I need to change or add to my report? 
You will be able to file online supplemental reports. You will need your police case number (which is listed on your approved report).

What is the difference between the temporary confirmation number and the case number? Are they interchangeable?
The two numbers are NOT interchangeable. When you initially submit your report, you will receive a temporary confirmation number, which will start with the letter T and be followed by a series of numbers (e.g., T16000181). After a police supervisor approves your report, you will receive your permanent case number, which will start with the year, a hyphen, then a series of numbers (e.g., 2016-80000236). The permanent case number, starting with the year, is your official police case report number. It is the one you should provide to your insurance company if needed.

What is a hate or bias motivation? 
This is when someone "maliciously and intentionally commits [an act] because of his or her perception of the victim's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or mental, physical, or sensory handicap" (RCW 9A.36.080).

Can I report abandoned vehicles with the online reporting system? 
No.  At this time, we ask that you please report abandoned vehicles via our non-emergency phone line at 425-577-5656.

What personal information is required to complete a report and why?

The following fields are mandatory categories:

  • First Name. Last Name and Date of Birth - These are needed to create an individual person’s record in our record management system (RMS).
  • Email – This is necessary so that reviewing personnel can communicate case status and make requests for additional information to the customer. Automatic replies are sent to customers via email, when case status changes. The following fields are mandatory, but there is an option of choosing "unknown":
  • Ethnicity - This information is collected and utilized for reporting to the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs (WASPC) as part of their bias-based policing survey. "Unknown" is an acceptable entry and can be chosen by customers who do not wish to provide the information.
  • Resident Status, Race, and Sex - This information is required for reporting to the FBI as part of the National Incident Based Reporting System. "Unknown" is an acceptable entry and can be chosen by customers who do not wish to provide the information.

The following fields are optional, as evidenced by the on-line fields not having a red asterisk next to them:

  • Preferred phone number
  • Home Address
  • Driver’s License # and State
  • Height. Weight, Eye Color, and Hair Color


Police Department
11750 NE 118th St, Kirkland WA 98034

General Inquiries
For police, fire, and emergency medical services, call 9-1-1
Non-emergency incident: 425-577-5656