Entry Level (Persons with no prior experience) - Must be 21 years of age with a high school diploma or GED, have no felony convictions and must have or be able to obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. Entry Level Officers will attend the 160hr Corrections Officers Academy while being paid by the department. Upon graduation from the Corrections Officers Academy, entry level officers will be placed in a fourteen week Corrections Training Officer program for field training. Entry level officers are on probation twelve months from date of solo assignment.
The following are automatic disqualifiers - Applicants should not apply to our agency if they indicate any of the following:
- 1 or more traffic crime convictions in last 5 years (DWI, Suspended, Reckless, etc.)
- Suspension of driver's license within past 5 years.
- Applicant's driving record will be carefully reviewed.
- Illegal use of ANY controlled substance while employed in a criminal justice capacity.
- Pattern of illegal use of prescription medication.
- All illegal drug use will be closely scrutinized on a case by case basis.
- Any adult felony conviction.
- Any misdemeanor or felony conviction while employed in a criminal justice capacity.
- Adult misdemeanor convictions will be carefully reviewed.
- Juvenile felony convictions will be carefully reviewed.
- Been convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statue.
- Sold drugs.
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
- Lied during any stage of the hiring process.
- Falsified his or her application, personal history questionnaire, or any other forms during hiring process.
- Previous revocation or denial of any (CJTC/POST) certified status, or suspension of current CJTC/POST certified status.
- Failure to pay income tax or child support.
- Current credit accounts, or unresolved accounts in collection will be carefully reviewed
- Any conduct or pattern of behavior that would tend to disrupt, diminish or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.