Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Risk Management

The City of Kirkland strives to provide a safe environment for our employees and citizens, minimizes financial risks to the City, and protects the financial assets of the City by creating a safe environment for its employees, citizens, and visitors.  Risk Management coordinates the various claims generated from City operations. These include workers’ compensation, auto liability, general liability, and property claims.  We are dedicated to minimizing or eliminating the exposure of City assets and resources to accidental and business loss. Risk Management assists all levels of management and employees to maintain safety programs and practices that will ensure the safe and effective completion of City services and reduce accidents and injuries.

The services we provide include:

  • Provides guidance, direction, oversight and coordination of a City-wide risk management program
  • Directs Safety programs and trainings to ensure compliance with WISHA Standards
  • Administers the City’s liability, property and auto/physical damage insurance programs
  • Manages Worker Compensation Program. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a Claim for Damages against the city?

If you believe that the city is liable for damages to you or your property, you must complete a Claim for Damages Form and submit it to the City Clerk’s Office.  Completed claims should be notarized and mailed or hand delivered to the City Clerk's Office along with the documentation supporting the dollar amount you listed on the form.

How long do I have to file a Claim?

An individual has three years from the time of the incident to file a Claim for Damages with the City of Kirkland.  If the person involved in the incident is a minor, the minor has until the time they reach 21 to file a claim.

What happens after I submit my claim?

A copy of your claim will be sent to Risk Management.  The Claim is then sent to WCIA a self-insured municipal risk pool in which the City is a member.  WCIA will investigate the claim and determine if the City is legally responsible for your damage.   If so, payment will be made directly to the claimant from WCIA.

If you have any questions related to risk management, please contact:

Kathy Joyner
Safety/Risk Analyst
Phone: 425-587-3214

Human Resources
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
123 5th Ave, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries
T. 425.587.3210 | F. 425.587.3215