Skip to main content
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Water Leaks

Do You Think You Have a Water Leak?

Dripping faucets and water leaks waste water and money. The smallest of drips and leaks around your home or business should be repaired. A slow drip can waste 15 to 20 gallons of water per day.  Please see It's Only a Small Drip...Right? for more information.

Many leaks are easy to fix. Others may require a plumber. A good "fix-it" book from the library or store can help you replace washers and fix other common plumbing problems. Many hardware stores also offer good advice. If in doubt, seek a plumbing professional.

The City's responsibility ends on the customer's side of the water meter. The customer is responsible from the meter to the house, including plumbing inside of the house. The City will maintain the water meter and meter box. It is the customer's responsibility to keep the meter box accessible from landscaping and fences (for meter reading and emergencies).

We monitor for abnormal increases in water usage and, as a courtesy, may send you a letter to alert you of a possible leak. If you discover that you have a leak, you may qualify for an adjustment to your bill. 

Leak Adjustment Criteria and Application (PDF)

How to find leaks:

Most leaks can be heard or seen, but some are difficult to detect. Your water meter may be your most useful tool in identifying water leaks on your property. Follow these easy steps to check for unseen leaks:

  • Locate the water meter


  • Locate the water supply shut-off valve for your building. It can be outdoors or indoors and is commonly located where the main water pipe enters the building foundation. In a home, this is often near an outside faucet. (Note: If you do not have a main shut-off valve, have one installed.)
  • Turn off all faucets, outlets and water-using appliances.
  • Note the one-cubic foot dial on the meter. After 30 minutes or more, take another look at the dial. If the dial has moved, you have a leak either inside or underground. Now, close the main shut-off valve. If the indicator stops, your leak is inside the building. Check toilets and faucets. If the indicator continues to move when the shut-off valve is closed, you have an underground leak between the water meter and the shut-off valve, which should be repaired.

Fire Hydrant Leak

Fire hydrant leaks should be reported to the City of Kirkland Public Works Department at (425) 587-3900. The Water Division in Public Works handles hydrant leaks (not the Fire Department).

Finance and Administration
Street Address: 123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033
Mailing Address: Utility Billing
P.O. Box 3865, Seattle, Washington 98124-3865

General Inquiries
T. 425.587.3001 | F. 425.587.3019