Skip to main content
Mobile Navigation Icon
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Neighborhood Services Frequently Asked Questions

What is Neighborhood Services?
Neighborhood Services is your link to City staff who work closely with each neighborhood to ensure high-quality City services are provided, Neighborhood Associations are supported, and issues are responsively addressed. Below are frequently asked questions and answers addressing a variety of neighborhood issues.

To learn how to get involved with your Neighborhood Association, go to the City’s website at or contact David Wolbrecht, Neighborhood Services Outreach Coordinator, at (425) 587-3011.

Abandoned/Inoperable Vehicles.
How do I report an abandoned/inoperable vehicle on my street?
Report abandoned vehicles to the Kirkland Police Department on the non-emergency line at (425) 587-3400.

Animal Services. Where can I purchase a pet license? How do I report stray animals and barking dogs?
To purchase a pet license or report stray animals and barking does, please go to the Animal Services webpage.

City Phone Operator. Who can I contact after regular business hours?
Call City of Kirkland facilities at (425) 587-3900 (press 1) or the Kirkland Police Department on the non-emergency line at (425) 587-3400.

Comments and Questions. Who handles comments and questions for the City?
If you have a compliment, suggestion, or complaint about the service you received, please submit an Ask A Question online form.

Construction Noise.
What are the allowable hours for construction/development activities and heavy equipment operation?
Development activity and operation of heavy equipment cannot occur before 7:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or before 9:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. Saturday. No development activity or use of heavy equipment may occur on Sundays or on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

If a violation is taking place, call the Kirkland Police Department at (425) 587-3400 (non-emergency line) or call the Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600 during normal business hours. See Kirkland Zoning Code 115.25 regarding Development Activities and Heavy Equipment Operation—Limitations On.

Construction Projects. How can I find out about construction projects going on in my neighborhood?

City Park/Facility Reservations. How do I reserve a City park or facility?
To learn about indoor, outdoor, and athletic field reservations and to download a facility guide and rental application, go to the Facility Rental webpage.

Domestic Animals.
Does the City allow domestic animals, such as chickens?
Kirkland Zoning Code KZC 115.20 regulates animals, such as chickens and dogs, in residential areas. Contact the Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600 for specific regulations.

Door-to-Door Solicitation. Is door-to-door solicitation allowed in the City?
Door-to-door solicitation is allowed in Kirkland City limits with a valid City-issued business license. The City must be provided dates and times of solicitation, company identification, and the names of the solicitors. To verify if a solicitor is licensed by the City, call the Licensing Division at (425) 587-3140.

Fence Requirements. How can I get information on fence guidelines for private property?
The Fence Requirement (PDF-45 kb) handout is located on the Planning & Building Department webpage.

Flooding. Where do I report stream or street flooding?
Submit an online Report a Drainage or Water Quality Problem complaint form or call Public Works at (425) 587-3800 or (425) 587-3900. If it is after hours, the main numbers will be routed to an answering service and if necessary a Public Works maintenance crew will be dispatched.

Graffiti. How do I report graffiti on buildings, fences, sound walls?
Call the 24-hour Graffiti Hotline at (425) 587-3824 to report graffiti. Visit the Anti-Graffiti webpage for more information.

Home Occupation. Do I need a license to operate a home business? If so, how do I get one?
All home occupations require a valid City business license and must meet certain land use criteria. More information can be found online at Starting a New Business.

Illegal Dumping.
How do I report illegal dumping?
During normal business hours call the Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600; on the weekends call the Kirkland Police Department at (425) 587-3400 (non-emergency line); or submit a Complaint Investigation Request.

Junk (Vehicles and Debris). How do I report junk vehicles and debris on private property?
Submit a Complaint Investigation Request or call the Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600.

Loud Disturbances.
How do I report loud music or a loud party in the City?
If a noise violation is taking place, you should call the Kirkland Police Department at (425) 587-3400 (non-emergency line) and report the violation. See Kirkland Municipal Code KMC 11.84A.070 regarding public disturbance noises.

Neighborhood Plan. Where can I find my Neighborhood Plan?
To find your Neighborhood Plan, go to the Kirkland Comprehensive Plan website (scroll down to find your neighborhood).

Neighborhood Block Watch. How do I start a Neighborhood Block Watch?
Visit the Neighborhood Block Watch webpage to learn how to prevent crime in your neighborhood.

Parade/Block Party Permits. How can I apply for a special event or street-closure permit?
The City permits certain special events that impact the public right of way. Contact Sudie Elkayssi, Special Projects Coordinator, at (425) 587-3347.

Parking or Traffic Ticket Payment. Where can I pay a City-issued parking or traffic ticket?
Payment may be made with cash, check, money order, debit, or credit card at Kirkland Justice Center:

Street Address:
11740 NE 118th Street
Kirkland, WA 98034

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 678
Kirkland, WA 98083-0678

(425) 587-3160

Credit or debit card payments can be made by calling 1-844-546-9366 or visiting the Municipal Court Online Payment website.

Passport. Where can I apply for a passport?
The City of Kirkland is a Passport Acceptance Facility for the US Department of State. The City accepts applications, reviews the applications to ensure they are complete, administers the declaration oath, documents identity and answers general passport questions. Click here for passport hours.

For more information call (425) 587-3000.

Pot Holes. Who do I call to report pot holes in City streets?
Report potholes or any other hazardous condition or situation in the roadway to the Street Division of Public Works at (425) 587-3900. Please provide the location and direction of travel.

Property Taxes. Who assesses my property taxes?
Your property’s assessed value is determined by the King County Department of Assessments. There are several taxing districts on your property tax bill, including the City of Kirkland.

Recycling. Who do I contact if I have a question about recycling?
Please contact your Recycling Coordinator or call (425) 587-3812 with a specific recycling question. Visit the City’s Recycling webpage for additional information.

RV Parking. Can I park (store) an RV on my property? If so, how long?
Kirkland Zoning Code KZC 115.150.2 regulates oversized vehicles, such as a boat/recreational vehicle (RV), which are longer than 22 feet and more than 9 feet in height. Contact the Planning & Building Development Department at (425) 587-3600 for specific regulations.

Sidewalk Defects. Who do I call to report sidewalk defects?
Report sidewalk defects to the Street Division of Public Works at (425) 587-3900.

Sidewalk and Street Obstructions. Who do I call to report sidewalk vegetation overgrowth?
It is the responsibility of adjacent property owners to keep sidewalks clear of obstructions or debris including vegetation and plantings in the public right-of-way. For more information regarding sidewalk maintenance responsibility, go to Neighborhood Safety.

To report sidewalks that are obstructed with vegetation overgrowth e-mail or call us at (425) 587-3900.

Streams and Wetland. Where do I report work such as draining, ditching, filling or clearing in a stream or wetland?
If a violation is taking place during normal business hours call the Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600; on the weekends call the Kirkland Police Department at (425) 587-3400 (non-emergency line). If a violation has already occurred, submit an online Complaint Investigation Request.

Street Lights. How do I report a burned out street light?
Street lights are maintained by the Street Division of Public Works. Please call the Street Division directly at (425) 587-3900 and provide the nearest street address and 12-digit SLAE # located on the pole.

Trees. What are Kirkland's tree removal regulations? Do I need a permit to remove trees?
For detailed information about tree removal and tree removal permits, go to the Trees and Landscaping webpage. See also Kirkland Zoning Code Chapter 95 Tree Management and Requirement Landscaping

Trees (Fallen Trees/Limbs). Where do I report fallen trees and tree limbs?
Depending on the location of the fallen trees or tree limbs, report to the following City department:  

  • Street or sidewalk—Public Works at (425) 587-3900
  • Park property—Parks Department at (425) 587-3300
  • Private property—Planning & Building Department at (425) 587-3600
Utility Bill Payment. Where can I pay my utility bill?
Payments may be made in person at City Hall at 123 5th Avenue or at the drop boxes located at the two entrances to City Hall. To view additional payment options, visit the Utility Billing webpage.

Volunteering. Does the City offer volunteer programs?
The City offers a variety of Volunteer Opportunities that may interest you, such as environmental stewardship, advisory board membership, and customer service support. For more information, contact Patrick Tefft (425) 587-3012.

City Manager's Office
123 5th Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries
T. 425.587.3001 | F. 425.587.3019