Skip to main content
Twitter YouTube Print E-mail a friend this page Share this page

Other Information

What is Building Services?

As a component of Development Services Center, the Building Services Division of the Planning & Building Department ensures the safety and welfare of those who live, work and visit Kirkland by regulating the construction, use, and occupancy of buildings and structures. Building Services staff ensures that building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing standards and other codes for construction are met through plan review, permit issuance and on-site inspections.

123 5th Ave.
Kirkland WA, 98033
425-587-3600 (Main)
425-587-3651 (Fax)
Ask a Question

The Building Services Division also serves as your point of contact for the permit and inspection process, which involves several other departments and agencies, depending on the scope of the project. Please don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can help you with your construction project. We’d appreciate hearing your feedback on your experience; feel free to complete a quick online customer service survey. Back to Top

Code Violation Investigations

Code Violation Investigations regarding non-compliance with construction codes are conducted in cooperation with the City’s Code Enforcement Division. You can submit a complaint online or contact Code Enforcement at 425-587-3600. Back to Top

Request for Public Records

If you are interested in making a request for public records, such as permit applications and plans, you can use the new Public Records Request Portal. Back to Top


Use the Building Department Fee Schedules (PDF) to determine the valuation of your project and to estimate building permit and related fees. For all other fee information, please visit the Development Services Fees page.


The departments within Development Services have compiled some of their most frequently asked questions:
Building FAQs
Fire Prevention FAQs
Planning FAQs
Public Works FAQs Back to Top

Change of Address Requests

To request an address change with the City of Kirkland, you must complete and submit an Address Change Request Form. Please email the completed form to or submit it in person to the Development Services Center at Kirkland City Hall. City staff will respond to your request within 5 business days of the submittal date.

The City of Kirkland addressing group will review the address change request, and approve it if it fits within the city’s standard addressing grid. An address request will be denied if it does not follow the city’s addressing standards, or if there are no available house numbers.

Public safety responders are trained to find an address in the shortest possible time by utilizing the city’s established addressing grid. If the address does not conform to this standard, emergency personnel will have a harder time locating the premise, potentially a serious life-safety issue. Back to Top

Contractors & Business Licenses

Contractors that engage in business in Kirkland, such as by performing work or providing services at a job site, are required to have a valid City of Kirkland Business License. Back to Top

Building Services
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Counter closed 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday
123 Fifth Avenue, Kirkland WA 98033

General Inquiries
T. 425.587.3600 | F. 425.587.3651