MLK Jr. Day of Service at Juanita Beach Park 2022
Join the Green Kirkland Partnership for MLK Jr. Day of Service as we help restore Juanita Beach Park!
In addition to a sandy beach on the shore of Lake Washington, Juanita Beach Park features a thriving natural area along the mouth of Juanita Creek. Juanita Creek flows through Kirkland and is traditionally a salmon bearing stream. Restoration efforts have been ongoing for many years and for the first time since 2000, Chinook salmon were observed in the creek earlier this year.
This project is partly funded through a King County Wastewater Division WaterWorks grant.
Pre-registration is requested for all Green Kirkland events.
Face coverings: Please bring and wear a face covering at times when physical distancing cannot be maintained at outdoor stewardship events.
Volunteers will help restore critical habitat by removing invasive plants such as blackberry or ivy, planting native plants, and pitching-in with stewardship tasks like mulching and weeding. With your help, this park with have healthy and thriving natural areas for years to come!
All experience levels and ages are welcome following the safety and event guidelines (see below). Tools and training are provided. Events are 100% outdoors and occur rain or shine!
This event is led by Green Kirkland staff member, Ina.
For general information about what to expect at Green Kirkland events visit the ‘What to Expect Page'.
How to Register to Volunteer:
Follow this link to our Eventbrite page for this event date to register to volunteer.
Pre-registration is requested for all participants to ensure we are following public health guidelines and have enough tools/space.
After registering on Eventbrite, you will receive confirmation emails with safety information and important details about your event.
What to Expect:
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines:
Green Kirkland stewardship events follow a City of Kirkland approved COVID-19 safety plan. As of September 3, 2021:
- Face coverings: Please bring and wear a face covering at times when physical distancing cannot be maintained at outdoor stewardship events.
- Pre-registration is requested from participants. Event leaders may elect to allow non-registered participants (e.g. drop-in) to sign the roster and participate at the event on a site by site basis.
- Health self-screening has been simplified: Please stay home if you do not feel well or have any Covid or flu-like symptoms.
- Physical distancing of six feet or greater is recommended and typically achievable at events. Please wear a face covering when distancing is not possible.
- Tool sharing is permitted when needed. Gardening gloves should always be worn when handling all tools.
- Cleaning supplies or staff assistance for cleaning is available upon request.
- Hand sanitizer or a hand washing facility is available onsite.
As an event volunteer, please be aware that you may be around other volunteers, leaders or park users who are not wearing face coverings. Groups such as companies or schools may have more extensive requirements for their participants.
What to Bring and Wear:
- Wear Closed toed shoes (ex. tennis shoes, sneakers or boots but no sandals)
- Clothes that can get dirty/muddy.
- Long pants and long sleeves to protect against plants/abrasion.
- Bring rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection as needed.
- Bring your own water and snacks.
- Bring your own work/garden gloves.
Tools are provided. For more tips on what to bring and wear visit the ‘What to Expect Page’.
Parking & Meeting Location:
Parking is available in the main parking lot or the parking lot on the intersection of 97th Ave NE and NE Juanita Drive.
Meet on the western side of the paved south lot near the play structure/bathhouse.
Minors under the age of 14 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult who will remain onsite and supervise the minor for the duration of the event. Any youth volunteer under 14 not attending with their parent/guardian must also bring a complete Youth and Individual Service Agreement singed by a parent/guardian (see below).
Youth under age 18 to age 14 must either be accompanied by an adult or bring a signed youth waiver form. Complete the Youth and Individual Service Agreement online via the fillable form with a parent/guardian signature.
Court-ordered/mandated service options are limited. If this applies to you, visit the ‘What to Expect Page'.
Monday, January 17, 2022 | 10:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
Juanita Beach Park
9703 NE Juanita Dr, Kirkland 98034 View Map