Contact: Jenna McInnis
KIRKLAND, Wash. – On May 9, the Washington State Recycling Association (WSRA) will honor the City of Kirkland’s Solid Waste division as its Public Agency Recycler of the Year for 2016. Nine other organizations, businesses and individuals will receive awards for their outstanding recycling achievements, held at the 37th Annual WSRA Conference & Trade Show in Pasco, WA. Recyclers of the Year and Recycling Hall of Fame inductees are chosen by a panel of WSRA members, board members, and Hall of Fame inductees.
In 2016 Kirkland Solid Waste took on a number of creative and effective waste reduction and recycling policies and programs:
- In March 2016, after years of background work, Kirkland’s plastic bag reduction policy went into effect, significantly reducing the use of disposable plastic bags and requiring a fee for large paper bags.
- Throughout 2016, Kirkland continued to focus on multifamily recycling by updating City code to require a 1:1 ratio of recycling to garbage capacity onsite at multifamily properties and continued to personalize education and outreach at apartment and condo properties.
- The City added recycling bins with weekly service to its 22 neighborhood parks.
- The City’s popular monthly “StyroFest” events were held throughout the year, offering a collection point for EPS, expanded polyethylene foam, and plastic bags for local residents. More than 800 cubic yards of these hard-to-recycle materials were collected in 2016.
- Kirkland Solid Waste organized and hosted its first Halloween costume swap. Community members donated 75+ costumes prior to the event and on the day of the swap, more than 100 families participated reusing both costumes and accessories.
The Kirkland community has responded enthusiastically to these creative recycling efforts. Solid support from the Kirkland City Council has resulted in more waste reduction and recycling options in the City.
To learn more about the City of Kirkland Solid Waste Division contact Jenna McInnis, Tracy Durnell, or John MacGillivray at 425-587-3812 or email@example.com.