NEW LOCATION AND HOURS
Please follow our new safety guidelines!
- Wear a face covering (see King County guidance)
- Do not attend if you feel sick or have recently been in contact with anyone who is sick or has recently been tested for coronavirus
- Place materials in your trunk
- All materials must be prepared in advance (all tape and labels removed)
- Materials must be separated by type and color per instructions
- Materials should be packed so they are easy to unload
- Remain in your car until it is your turn
- You may be asked to unload your own materials, or staff may remove it from your trunk
Kirkland residents can recycle StyrofoamTM and plastic bags at this staffed event. Drop-off is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Do not leave material after the event is over. Items brought for recycling must be clean and dry. All tape and labels must be removed. Staff will reject unacceptable material.
Limit one carload per household – no trailers or box/moving trucks. If you have more than one carload worth of StyrofoamTM, please use an alternative recycling option (contact email@example.com).
We can only accept material from Kirkland residents and businesses due to capacity constraints. We cannot accommodate material from residents of other cities. If you do not live in Kirkland, please use events in your city, public drop-off locations, or a private pickup service.
Accepted Materials (all clean and dry - please separate)
- StyrofoamTM / Expanded Polystyrene (look for the #6 or "EPS" inside the recycling symbol) - sheets, blocks, cups, CLEAN (no food, no stains, rinsed) takeout food containers and trays. Please keep colors separate from white StyrofoamTM. Packing peanuts are NOT accepted. Hot tub covers are NOT accepted. Remove packing tape and labels before attending.
- Expanded Polyethylene Foam (also called "EPE") - flexible material, such as used to pack electronics or to make 'pool noodles'. Foam such as used to make camping pads is NOT accepted.
- Plastic bags - grocery, garbage, produce, and dry-cleaning bags - see plasticfilmrecycling.org for the full list of accepted materials. An easy test is whether you can stretch the plastic with your finger - hard, crinkly plastic bags (such as spaghetti wrappers, cereal bags, and grape bags) are NOT accepted. Freezer bags are also not accepted. Must be clean and empty.
- Bubble wrap, plastic film stretch wrap, plastic overwrap, air pillows - can be combined with plastic bags, all colors OK.
Not Accepted Materials
- Packing peanuts are not accepted - they should be thrown away in the trash if you do not have a way to reuse them.
- Brown/tan meat trays are not accepted - they can be composted at home in your yard waste bin.
- Lined or coated styrofoam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home.
- Dirty styrofoam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home if it is not able to be cleaned.
- Foam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home.
- Trash is not available at this event - you can take oversize trash to the Houghton Transfer Station.
- Cardboard recycling is not available at this event - please plan to take your cardboard boxes home for recycling. Large quantities of cardboard can be recycled for free at Houghton Transfer Station.
- Electronics, CFL light bulbs, batteries, etc, are not accepted at this event.