ACCEPTED: Confidential paper materials. Staples OK. No binder clips.
LIMIT: 4 file-size (12”x12”x16”) boxes or equivalent quantity.
Shredding will be completed by Confidential Data Disposal. Material shredded through the event will be recycled. Shredded paper is not accepted in your recycling at home, so using a service to shred is a better environmental choice. Shredding available for Kirkland residents only.
Kirkland residents can recycle styrofoam and plastic bags at this monthly staffed event. Drop-off is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Please do not leave material after the event is over. Items brought for recycling must be clean and dry. Located at the Kirkland Public Works Maintenance Center, 915 8th Street.
We will only accept material from Kirkland residents. Limit one carload per household – no trailers or box/moving trucks. If you have more than one carload worth of Styrofoam, please use an alternative recycling option, listed at bottom.
Download a flyer with all StyroFest information (pdf, 267kb).
Accepted Materials (all clean and dry - please separate)
- StyrofoamTM / Expanded Polystyrene (look for the #6 or "EPS" inside the recycling symbol) - sheets, blocks, cups, CLEAN (no food, no stains, rinsed) takeout food containers and trays. Please keep colors separate from white styrofoam. Packing peanuts are NOT accepted. Hot tub covers are NOT accepted. Please remove packing tape and labels.
- Expanded Polyethylene Foam (also called "EPE") - flexible material, such as used to pack electronics or to make 'pool noodles'. Foam such as used to make camping pads is NOT accepted.
- Plastic bags - grocery, garbage, and produce bags - see bagyourbags.com for the full list of accepted bags. An easy test is whether you can stretch the plastic with your finger - hard, crinkly plastic bags (such as spaghetti wrappers, cereal bags, and grape bags) are NOT accepted. Freezer bags are also not accepted. Must be clean and empty.
- Bubble wrap, plastic film stretch wrap, air pillows - can be combined with plastic bags, all colors OK.
- White plastic strapping (such as for shipping boxes)
Not Accepted Materials
- Packing peanuts are not accepted - they should be thrown away in the trash if you do not have a way to reuse them.
- Brown/tan meat trays are not accepted - they can be composted at home in your yard waste bin.
- Lined or coated styrofoam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home.
- Dirty styrofoam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home if it is not able to be cleaned.
- Foam is not accepted, and should be thrown away at home.
- Trash is not available at this event - you can take oversize trash to the Houghton Transfer Station.
- Cardboard recycling is not available at this event - please plan to take your cardboard boxes home for recycling. Large quantities of cardboard can be recycled for free at Houghton Transfer Station.
- Electronics, CFL light bulbs, batteries, etc, are not accepted at this event.
All 2018 StyroFest Dates
No StyroFest events in May and October - attend our Recycling Collection Events instead.
- January 6th
- February 3rd
- March 3rd
- April 7th
- June 2nd
- July 7th
- August 4th
- September 8th
- November 3rd
- December 1st - regular event plus free confidential shredding!
If you can't make it to StyroFest, there are options for StyrofoamTM recycling in Woodinville, Shoreline, and around the Seattle area. See the full list (pdf).
You can also throw away StyrofoamTM in your garbage at home. It is not accepted in your recycling at home.