PROJECT STATUS - This project is currently on hold and will resume when the City's tree codes have been amended.
Prior to its annexation, the Holmes Point community and King County developed codes to protect the natural assets within Holmes Point. With annexation to Kirkland, the King County overlay code was adopted as Kirkland Zoning Code Chapter 70 (KZC 70).
View a map(PDF, 547KB) of the Holmes Point Overlay area and get information(PDF, 107KB) on HPO tree retention code requirements.
Amendments to the Holmes Point Overlay (HPO) code were initiated with the development of the new Finn Hill Neighborhood Plan in 2018. The draft HPO code (Kirkland Zoning Code Chapter 70) reflects the Neighborhood Plan policies for:
- Maintaining a 60% tree canopy cover goal
- Protection of steep slopes
View the Planning Commission (PC) and/or the City Council meeting packets by clicking on the appropriate tab below
City Council meeting - June 19, 2018
Staff memo and attachments(PDF, 5MB)
Includes the Planning Commission's recommendations on the HPO. At that time, the City Council directed staff to put the HPO code update project on hold until two closely related code amendments, the geologic hazard codes (KZC 85) and the citywide tree code (KZC 95) were updated first. The geologic code updates were completed in 2018. The HPO code amendments are scheduled to follow City Council's review of KZC 95 in early 2021.
How can I get involved?
- Subscribe to receive email announcements
- In-person comments may be given during the Items from the Audience portion of City Council meetings
- Submit written comments to Deb Powers, Urban Forester at email@example.com
- Contact the City Council through the Our Kirkland customer service portal