Walking with your dog strengthens the bond between you and your pet, and it is also the healthy thing to do. Dogs, like people, benefit from exercise to help control weight and to maintain a healthy heart, lungs and muscles. Aging pets must be kept as agile and fit as possible but may not be inclined to exercise without encouragement. Even if your pet is active in your yard, it is more active during a walk. The pleasure of your company is one of your dog’s greatest motivations to exercise. In addition to exercise, dogs also need social interaction, positive attention from its owner, and mental stimulation. Many of these needs can be met by simply taking your dog for a walk.
Here are other important tips:
- Walk your dog on a secure leash.
- Be sure to pick up after your pet.
- During warm weather carry water for your pet.
- Identification is a MUST. Every dog should wear their license tag for identification and safety.
- Pause when your dog needs a rest.
For more information about pets, visit our Pets website.