Emergency Kit Maintenance
Make sure your emergency kit is ready to use by maintaining and updating it regularly.
- Keep canned food in a cool, dry place
- Store water in sturdy containers in locations that wont freeze (detached garages can freeze and break water containers)
- Look through your kit annually and replace any expired items
Emergency Kit Storage
Disasters can strike no matter where you are, so keep a kit at home, at work, and in vehicles.
- Home: Make sure everyone in the household knows where emergency supplies are and how to use them. Have some supplies ready to grab quickly in case the household needs to evacuate.
- Work: Keep enough supplies to shelter at work for at least 24 hours in case you cannot get home. Include food, water, medications, comfortable walking shoes in a location you can quickly grab what you need.
- Vehicle: Keep supplies in your vehicle in case you get stranded.