Passport FAQ

Passport Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for a passport?

Kirkland City Hall is closed for passport processing through at least the end of 2020.  When we re-open, passport application services are offered five days a week:
Monday:           8:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 12:00 PM - 4:15 PM*
Tuesday:          8:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 12:00 PM - 4:15 PM*
Wednesday:     8:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 12:00 PM - 4:15 PM*
Thursday:         8:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 12:00 PM - 4:15 PM* 
Friday:              8:00 AM - 11:00 AM & 12:00 PM - 4:15 PM*  

The passport agent is NOT able to accept applications after closing. It is highly recommended that you call in advance (425) 587-3005 as well as arrive within at least an hour of closing due to fluctuating volume of applicants. *The last passport application is accepted at the times indicated.

2. What if I don’t have a state-certified birth certificate?

You may obtain a state-certified birth certificate by contacting the city or town where you were born, or you may order one at VitalChek, or by phone: 1-800-255-2414.

3. How long does it take to get a passport?

It takes approximately six (6) weeks to receive a passport. Expedited service is available for an additional fee of $60 and takes approximately three (3) weeks.  It may be possible to improve these timelines by paying for Overnight Delivery Return Fee.  Expedited service may be necessary if you have immediate travel plans, or if you are going to a country that requires a visa for travel (you must have your passport in hand before you can apply for a visa).

4. What if I need a passport in a hurry?

Passport applications can be expedited for an additional fee. Expedited passports are received in two to three weeks. If you are leaving in less than 14 days, you will need to call the Seattle Passport Agency Office at 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment.

5. Can I track my passport application online?

Yes. You may track the status of your application online in approximately 5-7 days from the date of the application (you will need to enter your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and your birthdate) by visiting Travel.State.Gov.

6. Do children or infants need passports?

If traveling internationally by air, you must have a passport regardless of age. If you have questions regarding a specific country's requirements, you can find them by visiting their government travel page. For land and sea travel into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, a passport may not be required for minors under 18.

7. Can I apply for a passport by mail?

Yes, you may apply by mail under the following circumstances:

  • You already have a passport that is not damaged; and
  • It was issued within the past 15 years; and
  • You were at least age 16 when it was issued; and
  • You still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change)

8. For passport renewals for minors, what do I need to bring?

You will need to bring the expired passport with an original or certified copy of their birth certificate, and both parents (if under the age of 16). Their social security number will also be needed on the application.

9. What if my passport has been lost or stolen?

Report the loss on Form DS-64 when you apply in person for a new passport. If you are traveling abroad, immediately report the loss to local police authorities and the nearest embassy or consulate.

10. What if I have had a name change?

If your most recent U.S. passport was issued less than one year ago, use form DS-5504. Include certified evidence of name change or other change in descriptive data and one new passport photo and mail it to address on form to get a new passport free of charge.

If your valid U.S. passport was issued more than one year ago, use form DS-82. Include certified evidence of name change or other change in descriptive data, one new photo and a check, and mail it to address on form.

11. Where can I get additional information and passport forms?

You may get additional information or download forms online at Travel.State.Gov. You may also call the Kirkland City Hall Passport Agent: 425-587-3005.