Adult Renewals

You are eligible to renew your passport if:

  • You are renewing an application that was issued on or after your 16th birthday.
  • Your name has not changed since your last passport OR you can document your legal name change.
  • Your passport was issued within the last 15 years.
  • Your expired or expiring passport is in your possession and can be submitted with application.
  • Your expired or expiring passport is not damaged or mutilated.


* Please note that the following information ONLY applies to applicants who have been issued a ten (10) year passport on or after their 16th birthday. Please see "Minors" page for information on renewals for children under 16.

* Please note that
 the City of Kirkland Passport Acceptance Facility does not process renewals. Renewals are submitted by the applicant to one of the two addresses listed on the DS-82.links to external site

Steps To Renew Passport:

  • Fill out the DS-82 (link above) as completely as possible. For any box without an answer, please write "N/A."
  • Attach a new picture that meets all requirements.
  • Attach most recent expired passport.
  • Attach payment in form of check or money order made out to the U.S. Department of State. All fee requirements are the same except for the $35 execution fee. You do NOT pay this fee when renewing using a DS-82 application.   
  • Be certain to sign and date the application.
  • It is recommended that you mail your application via U.S. Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. If expediting, write "EXPEDITE" on envelope.

Please note that it is not possible at this time to renew an American passport by mail from overseas. To renew overseas, please visit your nearest American embassy.

More information can be found at: travel.state.govexternal link icon