Adult Applicants (Ages 16+)
You are considered a first time applicant if:
- You have NEVER been issued a U.S. Passport OR
- You were under the age of 16 when your previous passport was issued OR
- Your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago OR
- Your most recent passport was lost or stolen OR
- Your name has changed since your previous passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.
First Time Applicants - Age 16 and older
* Please note that the following information ONLY applies to applicants who are 16 years of age or older.
1. Passport Application Form (DS 11)
- This form is to be completely filled out and submitted at the time of application. The form is available online or at City Hall.
- The SSN of the applicant is REQUIRED. The application WILL NOT be executed without the SSN.
2. Proof of Citizenship*
- All must be originals or certified copies; no photocopies accepted. Your Social Security Card is NOT proof of citizenship.
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate OR
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization OR
- Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) OR
- Previous fully valid U.S. Passport OR
- Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-24)
3. Proof of Identity*
- Any ID that is not one of the below is not considered primary identification and, if submitted, may delay the processing time of your passport. (Ex. school ID, state ID, work ID)
- Driver’s license
- an instructional permit is NOT considered relevant ID and will not be accepted without another photo ID,
- Previous fully valid passport
- ONLY if the passport is not used as citizenship evidence,
- Government ID and/or Military ID
- If photo identification is from out of state, expired, or the soft copy (driver's license), you must present at least one other form of photo ID.
- Applicants age 16 and 17 must also provide proof of parental permission. This can be shown by use of a parent's check, a written statement by parent, parent listed as emergency contact, or being accompanied by at least one parent with valid ID.
4. Passport Photograph
- One photograph on photo quality paper, 2”x2” square, with white or off-white background must be submitted with application. Photograph must meet U.S. Passport Standards. Kirkland City Hall does not provide this service, therefore it is required that it be brought in at the time of application.
- Must have one (1) check or money-order for the application, payable to the U.S. Department of State, AND
the 35.00 execution fee can be paid by a separate check or money-order, cash, or a Visa/MasterCard.
* If the full name of the applicant does not match on BOTH citizenship and identification, legal documentation of a name change will be required. In the case of marriage, as long as the new last name is reflected in the marriage/spouse section of the DS-11, the certificate may not be required.
This is not an exhaustive explanation of requirements or details. More information can be found at: travel.state.gov