November 2016 - October 2017
Webpage updated: July 17, 2017
- Council & Commission Meetings
August – October 2016:
- Informal public outreach
- Online survey
- Collect data
Angela Ruggeri, Senior Planner
Comment Letters Received (PDF 9MB)
Over the past year, the City, property owners and the community have considered the future of the Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center and 6th Street Corridor. A number of public meetings and open houses were held to gather input and to look at various land use and transportation options. The Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center is located within the Central Houghton and Everest Neighborhood at the intersection of NE 68th St and 6th St/108th Avenue. The Planning Commission and Houghton Community Council studied potential land use and zoning changes while the City’s Transportation Commission evaluated possible transportation improvements. The study area is just under 14 acres and contains about 25 properties. Anchor stores include the Metropolitan Market/Bartell’s Drugs on the south side and PCC natural market on the north.
Three development scenarios or alternatives were considered by the Planning Commission and Houghton Community Council for the neighborhood center. The scenarios included the “Preservation” scenario, which would keep in place existing zoning and development standards at 30 feet (one to two stories) . The “Modest Change” scenario would allow an increase in building height from 30 feet to 35 feet (three stories). And the Greater Change scenario would allow a base height of 35 feet with the potential to increase up to 55 feet in specific areas based on meeting incentives for public benefits (three to five stories). The Planning Commission and Houghton Community Council agreed to bring forward these scenarios and potential development standards to the Public Hearing that was held at Kirkland City Hall on March 23rd at 7:00 pm. Prior to the public hearing, a community open house was available beginning at 6:00 pm at City Hall for anyone to drop in, ask questions or get more information.
Following the public hearing the Planning Commission and Houghton Community Council met in April and May to deliberate and make a recommendation to the City Council. The City Council considered the recommendations and all of the public comments at a study session on June 6, 2017. The Council will continue to discuss the recommendations at meetings in July through October and is expected to make a final decision in the fall. The Houghton Community Council, (within its jurisdiction in Central Houghton) will consider the final decision by the City Council and either agree with the City Council or disagree and disapprove the amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning.
Intersection of NE 68th Street and 6th Street South/108th Avenue NE
To access agendas, staff reports, minutes and recordings of the meetings please go to the following webpages: Planning Commission, Houghton Community Council, Transportation Commission & City Council.
March 14, 2017 Everest Neighborhood Meeting Presentations:
- Transportation (PDF 2.7MB)
- Design Options (PDF 1.6MB)
- 6/23/16 Joint study Session with Houghton Community Council & Planning Commission
- 9/20/16 City Council
- 11/28/16 Joint Study Session with Houghton Community Council & Planning Commission
- 12/6/16 Transportation Commission (Presentation Materials)
- 12/15/16 Open House & Joint Study Session Houghton Community Council & Planning Commission
Consultant's presentation provided on 12/15/16 (PDF 1.3MB)
- 01/03/17 City Council - project extension to 4/30/17
- 01/17/17 City Council Study Session (Update)
- 01/25/17 Transportation Commission (Presentation Materials)
- 01/26/17 Open House & Joint Study Session Planning Commission & Houghton Community Council
- 02/21/17 City Council Study Session (Transportation Update)
- 02/22/17 Transportation Commission Update (Presentation Materials)
- 02/23/17 Joint Study Session Planning Commission & Houghton Community Council
- 03/23/17 Open House & Joint Public Hearing Planning Commission & Houghton Community Council
- 03/27/17 Houghton Community Council Meeting - Recommendation to City Council Deliberation
- 04/13/17 Planning Commission Meeting - Recommendation to City Council Deliberation
- 04/24/17 Houghton Community Council Meeting - Recommendation to City Council Deliberation
- 05/11/17 Planning Commission Meeting - Recommendation to City Council Deliberation
- 05/15/17 Houghton Community Council Meeting - Recommendation to City Council
- 05/22/17 Design Review Board Meeting - Recommendation on Design Guidelines
- 05/25/17 Planning Commission Meeting - Recommendation to City Council
- 06/06/17 City Council Study Session
- 07/05/17 City Council -Further Discussion of Recommendation
- 07/18/17 City Council - Further Discussion of Recommendation
WE WANT TO SEE YOUR EXAMPLES OF GOOD DESIGN:
What does good design look like to you? Consistent with policy guidance in the Comprehensive Plan, the City is considering a continuum of future development scenarios for the Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center. Possible scenarios range from a continuation of current low-rise patterns up to a mix of retail, housing and office development reaching three to five stories. If you have pictures or even just the location of examples of development that promotes the community character that you would like to see in the Neighborhood Center, we would like to see your ideas! Please send design ideas to Angela Ruggeri at email@example.com by January 20, 2017. We will collect and share all photos on the project website.
Responses to request for examples of good design
A community workshop focused on the 6th Street Corridor and Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center Study was held at Northwest University on Wednesday, November 2, 2016. Activities included an informal open house, a presentation on survey findings and research on transportation and land use analyses conducted to-date, as well as large and small group opportunities to share thoughts on future direction for this study. The input will help identify preferred land use and zoning in the neighborhood center and design improvements to the 6th Street Corridor. A video of the workshop is available for viewing.
The City of Kirkland invites you to join in considering the future of the Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center and 6th Street Corridor! This project studies land use and transportation in an integrated manner – outcomes will include a plan for improvements to 6th Street South and identification of preferred land use and zoning designations in the Neighborhood Center. Your input is important to ensure that the plan recognizes the community’s interests and needs.
A survey to gain public input on preferred land use and zoning in the neighborhood center and design improvements to the 6th Street Corridor was available from August 22, 2016 to October 28, 2016. The results of the survey are below.
- Final Survey Summary Report (PDF 3.2MB)
Adopted Neighborhood Plans
- Central Houghton (PDF 1.1MB)
- Everest (PDF 1MB)
If you would like to be kept informed via email of project updates please sign up for the project list serv
by clicking on the 'Kirkland Email Alert' button below.
Timeline for Public Outreach
August 2016 to October 2016: Informal outreach and online survey
August 2016 to May 2017: Webpage Updates
September 2016 to October 2016: Neighborhood Association meetings
November 2016: Community workshop
August 2016 to October 2017: City Council and Commission meetings
Timeline for 6th Street Corridor Study
August 2016 to September 2016: Stakeholder outreach and existing conditions
August 2016 to February 2017: Develop and refine potential solution
December 2016 to October 2017: Prepare final report
Timeline for Houghton/Everest Neighborhood Center Study
August 2016 to September 2016: Stakeholder outreach and existing conditions
August 2016 to January 2017: Analyze potential development scenario
December 2016 to October 2017: Prepare summary report