The Totem Lake Mall was originally constructed in 1973. The Mall is located on a 26-acre site within the designated Totem Lake Urban Center. It has frontage along 120th Avenue NE, Totem Lake Way, and Totem Lake Boulevard. The property is also located within the Totem Lake Business District
and is accessible by Interstate 405 (I-405).
The City has collaborated with local property and business owners on how to revitalize the Totem Lake Business District so that it is clear that "Kirkland is open for business." The adopted Totem Lake Action Plan
(pdf-92kb) identifies priority projects to ensure the area is reaching its economic potential. In addition to the Action Plan, amendments to the Totem Lake Business Plan
are planned as part of the update to the City's Comprehensive Plan.
Village at Totem Lake
The applicant has named the project the Village at Totem Lake. The project will be constructed in several phases described below.
(Lower Mall) - The lower Mall is the area of the Mall property between Totem Lake Boulevard and 120th Avenue NE. It will consist of:
- Approx. 189,000 sq. ft. retail space + several stand alone buildings in parking lot
- Ross and tenants north of Ross will remain
- Approx. 200 residential units
(Upper Mall) - The upper Mall is the area of the Mall property east of 120th Avenue NE. The applicant for this portion of the project is Fairfield Residential, in conjunction with CenterCal Properties. It will consist of:
- Approx. 41,700 sq. ft. of ground floor retail, movie theatre, and restaurant space
- Approx. 650 residential units
- Public plaza
The only tenant announced to date is Whole Foods which will be located at the south end of the lower Mall.
The applicant is currently in the design review process for Phase I (lower Mall) and has applied for the Conceptual Design Conference for Phase II (upper Mall). Design review will be conducted and decided upon by the Design Review Board (DRB) following the process described in Kirkland Zoning Code Section 142.35. The DRB will review the applicant's proposal for consistency with the Amended Conceptual Master Plan (pdf-1.1mb) and applicable design guidelines and conditions. The applicant has named the new development Village at Totem Lake.
Project Schedule/Upcoming Meetings - Design Review Board
Village at Totem Lake - Phase I (lower Mall)
- July 6, 2015 - Conceptual Design Conference. Staff memo: Part 1 PDF (4.5mb), Part 2 (PDF 4.5mb)
- September 21, 2015 - Design Response Conference #1. View the meeting notice. Staff memo: Part 1 (PDF 5mb), Part 2 (PDF 4mb)
- November 2, 2015 - Design Response Conference #2. Staff Memo (PDF 7mb)
- December 7, 2015 - Design Response Conference #3. Staff memo: Part 1 (PDF 5.3mb), Part 2 (PDF 6.8mb)
- January 4, 2016 - Design Response Conference #4. Staff Memo (PDF 5.5mb).
- January 20, 2016 - Design Response Conference #5. Staff memo: - Part 1 (PDF 5.4MB), Part 2 (PDF 5.6MB), Part 3 (PDF 4.5MB)
- March 7, 2016 - Design Response Conference #6. Staff Memo (PDF 5.7MB)
- April 4, 2016 - Design Response Conference #7. Part 1 (PDF 9.1MB), Part 2 (PDF 9.1MB), Part 3 (PDF 9.1MB), Part 4 (PDF 3.8MB)
Village at Totem Lake - Phase II (upper Mall)
- January 20, 2016 - Conceptual Design Conference. Staff memo: Part 1 (PDF 5.4MB), Part 2 (PDF 5.6MB), Part 3 (PDF 4.5MB)
- June 20, 2016 - Design Response Conference. Part 1 (PDF 8.1MB), Part 2 (PDF 8MB), Part 3 (PDF 7.5MB), Part 4 (PDF 7.1MB)
View past project timeline information
on the Totem Lake Mall redevelopment project since 2004.
In 2006, the City of Kirkland and Coventry/Developer Diversified Realty (DDR) entered into a "redevelopment agreement
" (pdf-3.5mb) that provided the framework for redevelopment of the Mall by Coventry/DDR. In March 2015, the City Council, approved Resolution R-5109 which authorized the City Manager to sign the 'Agreement to Extend and Amend the Redevelopment Agreement' for Totem Lake Mall to facilitate the sale and redevelopment of the property by CenterCal Properties, LLC (view press release
). This agreement reassigned and extended the development agreement for benefit of CenterCal Properties, LLC. It also reflected design changes described in the previous development agreement which included an updated financial analysis, minor modifications to the Totem Lake Mall Conceptual Master Plan, and an addendum to the 2006 SEPA Mitigated Determination of Nonsignificance.
Economic Development: Ellen Miller-Wolfe, Economic Development Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (425) 587-3014
Design Review & Zoning: Jon Regala, Project Planner at email@example.com
or (425) 587-3255
Transportation: Thang Nguyen, Transportation Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (425) 587-3869