What are the criteria for selecting new members?
Each year, current Kirkland Youth Council members must select new members from the Kirkland area to fill positions that have been vacated. Guidelines for the selection process are as follows:
- The selection committee shall consist of the current Leadership members and, when deemed necessary, other Kirkland Youth Council members.
- The selection committee will be fully committed to achieving a diverse Council that represents all social, cultural, ethnic, gender, age, and sexual orientation groups that are a part of Kirkland’s Youth population.
- Kirkland Youth Council will not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, cultural, ethnic, or social grdoup. Youth and Family Services staff members serve in an advisory and supportive capacity in the selection process and have no voting privileges.
- Selection of new Kirkland Youth Council members is made on the basis of the KYC application and interviews (when necessary).
- Selection of new members is determined primarily upon the following criteria: commitment, reliability, enthusiasm, desire to serve the community, and leadership skills.
What is the process?
The Kirkland Youth Council recruits new members every fall, just after school starts. Every person interested in joining KYC must complete an *application. Application forms are available as a PDF download or you can apply on-line. Once it is submitted, the application will be reviewed by a group of current Kirkland Youth Council members who will decide if interviews will be necessary. This normally occurs when we have a number of applications for one open position. You will be contacted either by phone or email if an interview will take place. Once the interviews are completed all applicants will be contacted by mail. We typically hope to have our recruitment process completed by the middle of October.
*Our deadline for the 2010-11 KYC applications is Friday, SEPTEMBER 24 , 5PM.
Back to Top