Once a Yard Smart expert conducts a consultation on your property, we will send you a written report that includes a list of site-specific projects to reduce runoff from your property. As a participant in the Yard Smart Rain Rewards program, you are eligible to receive funding to install these small-scale projects on your property.
You can install more the one project on your property. Program reimbursement ranges from 75 percent to 100 percent of project costs, up to $3,500 or $7,000 depending on property type. Learn more about our rebates.
Check out a comparison of the cost, site suitability and level of effort (pdf) associated with Yard Smart Rain Rewards-eligible projects.
- Find a contractor. Will you complete the work or will it be completed by a contractor? If it will be completed by a contractor, the City suggests getting at least three bids. A list of Potential Contractors is provided as a starting point, but participants are not required to use the contractors on this list. If you're planning to do your own work, consult our Do-it-Yourself Native Landscaping guide (PDF, 6MB) for help with plant selection, site design, and installation.
- Complete the appropriate approval form. Once you, or your chosen contractor, have a completed project design and you are ready to start the project or put down the deposit, fill out a Project Approval Form. Projects that are installed without completed and approved project approval forms will not receive a rebate. Fill out a project approval form for rain gardens, cisterns, and native landscaping (pdf 516k), downspout disconnection (pdf 116k), or tree planting (pdf 142k)
- Project approval. Within two weeks of receiving the completed form, City of Kirkland staff will contact you with project approval. Approval may include required changes to the plan that ensure your project meets qualifications.
- Build your project. Once you have received project approval, you can complete your project. If you are unable to complete your project, you may not receive your rebate. If you suspect this will happen, inform the City of Kirkland right away.
- Get your rebate. Once your project is complete, take the steps to Get Your Rebate.
View our Frequently Asked Questions or email YardSmart@kirklandwa.gov.