AMENDMENTS TO KIRKLAND MUNICIPAL CODE
On March 6, 2001 the City of Kirkland passed Ordinance #3778 amending Kirkland Municipal Code (KMC) Section 15.36 "Drainage and Discharge into Sewers Regulated." These amendments are intended to help reduce fats, oil and grease (FOG) accumulation in our sewer system. The amended KMC provides:
- Specific requirements for installation and maintenance of grease traps, filters or interceptors.
- Options for grease reduction measures in existing establishments.
- Access to private property for inspections.
- Specific language detailing what constitutes a discharge violation.
- Possible enforcement actions.
In conjunction with the KMC amendments, the Public Works Department has begun a new FOG reduction program. Initially, all food preparation establishments will be inspected to determine existing operations and equipment. The intended outcome will be to educate, not issue violations. The focus of future inspections will be to ensure compliance with the Municipal Code. Generally, inspections will be scheduled annually; FOG build-up discovered during maintenance activities will trigger additional investigation.
Please contact Bobbi Wallace, Surface & Wastewater Division Manager (425) 587-3909 if you have questions or to obtain a copy of the Ordinance or other FOG information.FOG Information: