Click on the thumbnail above and below for full-sized PDFs.
Update (Oct. 8) -- The City of Kirkland is advising Northeast 85th Street commuters to plan for increased traffic congestion throughout the next several months, as contracted work crews complete an array of tasks contributing to the Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements project.
CEMEX TO FINISH GRINDING FRIDAY; BEGINS PAVING WEEK OF OCT. 12
Kirkland’s Northeast 85th Street paving contractor will on Friday be preparing the arterial east of 131st Avenue Northeast for its new surface. The preparation process requires Cemex, the contractor, to grind away the arterial’s top two inches of pavement. Cemex will do this from 7 p.m., Friday to 5 a.m., Saturday.
Before Cemex can grind, however, it must first remove the lids and casings that protect 85th’s water, sewer and gas utilities. To do that, its workers will use jackhammers. Cemex plans to remove all of the utility lids and casings east 126th Avenue Northeast by Friday afternoon. However, the contractor might need to continue that work until midnight on Saturday.
Completion of this task will clear the way for Cemex’s crews to begin next week laying down the street’s first layer of new pavement. If it doesn't rain, Cemex will pave 85th Street from 114th Avenue Northeast to 132nd Avenue Northeast—from downhill to uphill. The one exception to this plan is the section between 131st Avenue Northeast and 132nd Avenue Northeast, where 85th Street slopes toward Redmond. There, Cemex will pave from east to west—from downhill to uphill.
Paving uphill preserves the pavement mat’s integrity.
Meanwhile, officials from Johansen Excavating say its crews will complete all remaining tasks by the end of November. Those tasks include the corridor’s landscaping, its missing sidewalk sections and the activation of its street lights. This week, Johansen's crews are finishing the south side's sidewalks. Johansen Excavating has already installed a new stormwater system, new traffic signals at 124th and 132nd avenues northeast, new median islands at 124th Avenue Northeast and a mile-long, 24-inch water main from I-405 to 132nd Avenue Northeast.
PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT
The Northeast 85th Street improvements will improve traffic flow, enhance walkability, stimulate the local economy and encourage private redevelopment.
Project Overview: The Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements are a direct result of a collaborative community planning effort with the Rose Hill Business District businesses, property owners, neighborhood residents, Sound Transit, and the City of Kirkland. The improvements provide a series of coordinated streetscape facilities to minimize traffic delays; enable pedestrians, drivers, bicyclists, transit riders and others to have a safe and pleasant experience; and, to develop a comprehensive transportation system to stimulate economic vitality and redevelopment. The projects include:
- Convert aerial utility lines to underground system along Northeast 85th Street from 120th to 128th Avenue Northeast.
- Install conduit underground for future utility conversion along Northeast 85th Street from 128th Avenue Northeast to 132nd Avenue Northeast
- Sidewalk on both sides of 124th Avenue NE between NE 80th Street and NE 90th Street
- Complete sidewalk on both sides of NE 85th Street between 120th Avenue NE and 132nd Avenue NE
- Install landscape strips with trees, pedestrian lighting and street lighting on both sides of NE 85th Street
- Add Intelligent Transportation System elements at each signalized intersection to coordinate signal timing along the corridor and create a pathway for connection to future Traffic Control Center
- Complete: Install additional southbound 114th Avenue NE to eastbound NE 85th Street left turn lane
- Install channelization island for future eastbound NE 85th Street to northbound 124th Avenue NE left turn lane
- Add northbound 132nd Avenue to eastbound NE 85th Street right turn lane
- Re-stripe southbound to eastbound left turn lane to increase vehicle storage length
- Replace the 50 year old water main along the full length of NE 85th Street from I-405 to 132nd Avenue NE.
- Provide water quality treatment for surface water within NE 85th Street sub-basin from approximately 126th Avenue to 132nd Avenue NE
- Resurface Northeast 85th Street Corridor
The planned schedule may change and will be updated regularly.
Water main installation: September 2014 - July 2015
Storm drain construction: November 2014 - July 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (south side): February 2015 - June 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (north side): June 2015 - August 2015
Street lights & traffic signals: March 2015 - September 2015
Repaving Northeast 85th Street: Fall 2015
Upgrade to intersection at 114th and 85th
124th Avenue sidewalks
Undergrounding of utility wires
How can I stay informed?
Send in a comment or question
Join the 85th Street Project List-Serve and Automatically Receive E-mail Updates... If you would like to receive electronic notices of upcoming meetings regarding the projects, please click here to sign-up
Caring for your infrastructure to keep Kirkland
healthy, safe and vibrant.