Update (Feb. 10) --
City Council Members, residents and officials from the Transportation Improvement Board and the Kirkland Chamber of Commerce will celebrate on Feb. 17 the completion of the Northeast 85th Street Improvements project during an 11 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony. The ceremony will take place at Honda of Kirkland’s south lot just west of Northeast 85th Street’s intersection with 124th Avenue Northeast. Attendees can park in the Walgreen’s parking lot on the east side of 124th Avenue Northeast.
The ribbon-cutting celebrates the implementation of a vision Kirkland’s residents, businesses and city leaders first articulated more than a decade ago during the comprehensive planning process. That vision called for an eastern gateway to the city, called the Rose Hill Gateway. It would feature wide sidewalks with elegant street lights and hand-rails and a boulevard-feel to the arterial. The Rose Hill Gateway, then called State Route 908, would continue to be Kirkland’s most important connection to Redmond. But it would also connect Kirkland’s North Rose Hill neighborhood to its South Rose Hill neighborhood.
The Northeast 85th Street Improvements project laid the groundwork for this vision.
It accomplished several other objectives, as well. With a new system of turn-lanes, traffic signals and reconfigured intersections at 114th, 124th and 132nd avenues northeast, it is improving traffic flow along the entire corridor. Its new 24-inch water main ensures that Kirkland’s residents will continue to have access to clean and safe drinking water. And its new stormwater system helps prevent flooding.
Combined, these coordinated tasks represent the most complicated and ambitious project the City of Kirkland has ever pursued.
The Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements are a direct result of a collaborative community planning effort with the Rose Hill Business District businesses, property owners, neighborhood residents, Sound Transit, and the City of Kirkland. The improvements provide a series of coordinated streetscape facilities to minimize traffic delays; enable pedestrians, drivers, bicyclists, transit riders and others to have a safe and pleasant experience; and, to develop a comprehensive transportation system to stimulate economic vitality and redevelopment. The projects include:
- Convert aerial utility lines to underground system along Northeast 85th Street from 120th to 128th Avenue Northeast.
- Install conduit underground for future utility conversion along Northeast 85th Street from 128th Avenue Northeast to 132nd Avenue Northeast
- Sidewalk on both sides of 124th Avenue NE between NE 80th Street and NE 90th Street
- Complete sidewalk on both sides of NE 85th Street between 120th Avenue NE and 132nd Avenue NE
- Install landscape strips with trees, pedestrian lighting and street lighting on both sides of NE 85th Street
- Add Intelligent Transportation System elements at each signalized intersection to coordinate signal timing along the corridor and create a pathway for connection to future Traffic Control Center
- Complete: Install additional southbound 114th Avenue NE to eastbound NE 85th Street left turn lane
- Install channelization island for future eastbound NE 85th Street to northbound 124th Avenue NE left turn lane
- Add northbound 132nd Avenue to eastbound NE 85th Street right turn lane
- Re-stripe southbound to eastbound left turn lane to increase vehicle storage length
- Replace the 50 year old water main along the full length of NE 85th Street from I-405 to 132nd Avenue NE.
- Provide water quality treatment for surface water within NE 85th Street sub-basin from approximately 126th Avenue to 132nd Avenue NE
- Resurface Northeast 85th Street Corridor
The planned schedule may change and will be updated regularly.
Water main installation: September 2014 - July 2015
Storm drain construction: November 2014 - July 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (south side): February 2015 - June 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (north side): June 2015 - August 2015
Street lights & traffic signals: March 2015 - September 2015
Repaving Northeast 85th Street: Fall 2015
Upgrade to intersection at 114th and 85th
124th Avenue sidewalks
Undergrounding of utility wires
How can I stay informed?
Send in a comment or question
Join the 85th Street Project List-Serve and Automatically Receive E-mail Updates... If you would like to receive electronic notices of upcoming meetings regarding the projects, please click here to sign-up
Caring for your infrastructure to keep Kirkland
healthy, safe and vibrant.