Click on the thumbnail above and below for full-sized PDFs.
Update (Nov. 16) -- The City of Kirkland is advising Northeast 85th Street commuters to plan for increased traffic congestion throughout the next several weeks, as contracted work crews complete an array of tasks contributing to the Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements project.
STRIPING & CURBING BEGIN WITH DRY WEATHER
Kirkland’s Northeast 85th Street paving contractor is waiting for a series of consecutive rainless days to apply the final touches to the arterial's brand new surface: Those touches include its permanent drive-lanes, its curbing and its thermoplastic fog lines and turn-arrows.
Meanwhile, Johansen Excavating's crews are repairing a few faulty sections of concrete, including some driveways.
PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT
The Northeast 85th Street improvements will improve traffic flow, enhance walkability, stimulate the local economy and encourage private redevelopment.
Project Overview: The Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements are a direct result of a collaborative community planning effort with the Rose Hill Business District businesses, property owners, neighborhood residents, Sound Transit, and the City of Kirkland. The improvements provide a series of coordinated streetscape facilities to minimize traffic delays; enable pedestrians, drivers, bicyclists, transit riders and others to have a safe and pleasant experience; and, to develop a comprehensive transportation system to stimulate economic vitality and redevelopment. The projects include:
- Convert aerial utility lines to underground system along Northeast 85th Street from 120th to 128th Avenue Northeast.
- Install conduit underground for future utility conversion along Northeast 85th Street from 128th Avenue Northeast to 132nd Avenue Northeast
- Sidewalk on both sides of 124th Avenue NE between NE 80th Street and NE 90th Street
- Complete sidewalk on both sides of NE 85th Street between 120th Avenue NE and 132nd Avenue NE
- Install landscape strips with trees, pedestrian lighting and street lighting on both sides of NE 85th Street
- Add Intelligent Transportation System elements at each signalized intersection to coordinate signal timing along the corridor and create a pathway for connection to future Traffic Control Center
- Complete: Install additional southbound 114th Avenue NE to eastbound NE 85th Street left turn lane
- Install channelization island for future eastbound NE 85th Street to northbound 124th Avenue NE left turn lane
- Add northbound 132nd Avenue to eastbound NE 85th Street right turn lane
- Re-stripe southbound to eastbound left turn lane to increase vehicle storage length
- Replace the 50 year old water main along the full length of NE 85th Street from I-405 to 132nd Avenue NE.
- Provide water quality treatment for surface water within NE 85th Street sub-basin from approximately 126th Avenue to 132nd Avenue NE
- Resurface Northeast 85th Street Corridor
The planned schedule may change and will be updated regularly.
Water main installation: September 2014 - July 2015
Storm drain construction: November 2014 - July 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (south side): February 2015 - June 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (north side): June 2015 - August 2015
Street lights & traffic signals: March 2015 - September 2015
Repaving Northeast 85th Street: Fall 2015
Upgrade to intersection at 114th and 85th
124th Avenue sidewalks
Undergrounding of utility wires
How can I stay informed?
Send in a comment or question
Join the 85th Street Project List-Serve and Automatically Receive E-mail Updates... If you would like to receive electronic notices of upcoming meetings regarding the projects, please click here to sign-up
Caring for your infrastructure to keep Kirkland
healthy, safe and vibrant.