Click on the thumbnail above and below for full-sized PDFs.
Update (Nov. 21) -- The City of Kirkland is advising Northeast 85th Street commuters to plan for increased traffic congestion throughout the next several months, as contracted work crews complete an array of tasks contributing to the Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements project.
Johansen Excavating is within a stone’s throw of completing another major task on the Northeast 85th Street Improvements project. Crews installed water main up to 30 feet of 85th’s intersection with 132nd Avenue Northeast. They will return Monday and Tuesday nights to the intersections of 126th and 128th avenues northeast. There, they will install the lateral water lines to which the water main will eventually connect.
When day crews return to work on Dec. 1, they’ll focus on building the stormwater system. To perform that work, they will use at least one travel lane. West of 128th Avenue Northeast, they’ll be in the southern-most eastbound lane. East of 128th Avenue Northeast, they’ll be in the northern-most westbound lane.
Johansen is considering installing on Dec. 22 and Dec. 23 the water lateral line in the 132nd Avenue Northeast intersection. And then, take a two-week, Christmas break until Jan. 5.
Night crews are currently installing the water main from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday through Thursday. Day crews are filling and repaving the trench created from the previous night's installation work. Johansen Excavating will have day-time crews performing other tasks, as well. These tasks will impact traffic. The project includes water service line replacements at 85th Street's intersections with 120th, 122nd, 124th, 128th and 132nd avenues northeast.
Why: The Northeast 85th Street improvements will improve traffic flow, enhance walkability, stimulate the local economy and encourage private redevelopment.
Project Overview: The Northeast 85th Street Corridor Improvements are a direct result of a collaborative community planning effort with the Rose Hill Business District businesses, property owners, neighborhood residents, Sound Transit, and the City of Kirkland. The improvements provide a series of coordinated streetscape facilities to minimize traffic delays; enable pedestrians, drivers, bicyclists, transit riders and others to have a safe and pleasant experience; and, to develop a comprehensive transportation system to stimulate economic vitality and redevelopment. The projects include:
- Convert aerial utility lines to underground system along Northeast 85th Street from 120th to 128th Avenue Northeast.
- Install conduit underground for future utility conversion along Northeast 85th Street from 128th Avenue Northeast to 132nd Avenue Northeast
- Sidewalk on both sides of 124th Avenue NE between NE 80th Street and NE 90th Street
- Complete sidewalk on both sides of NE 85th Street between 120th Avenue NE and 132nd Avenue NE
- Install landscape strips with trees, pedestrian lighting and street lighting on both sides of NE 85th Street
- Add Intelligent Transportation System elements at each signalized intersection to coordinate signal timing along the corridor and create a pathway for connection to future Traffic Control Center
- Complete: Install additional southbound 114th Avenue NE to eastbound NE 85th Street left turn lane
- Install channelization island for future eastbound NE 85th Street to northbound 124th Avenue NE left turn lane
- Add northbound 132nd Avenue to eastbound NE 85th Street right turn lane
- Re-stripe southbound to eastbound left turn lane to increase vehicle storage length
- Replace the 50 year old water main along the full length of NE 85th Street from I-405 to 132nd Avenue NE.
- Provide water quality treatment for surface water within NE 85th Street sub-basin from approximately 126th Avenue to 132nd Avenue NE
- Resurface Northeast 85th Street Corridor
The planned schedule may change and will be updated regularly.
Water main installation: September 2014 - January 2015
Storm drain construction: January 2015 - August 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (south side): January 2015 - April 2015
Sidewalk, curb, gutter and wall (north side): April 2015 - July 2015
Street lights (south side): February 2015 - May 2015
Street lights (north side): April 2015 - August 2015
Technology upgrades to traffic signals: February 2015 - June 2015
Replacing traffic signals: June 2015 - July 2015
Repaving Northeast 85th Street: Fall 2015
Upgrade to intersection at 114th and 85th
124th Avenue sidewalks
Undergrounding of utility wires
How can I stay informed?
Send in a comment or question
Join the 85th Street Project List-Serve and Automatically Receive E-mail Updates... If you would like to receive electronic notices of upcoming meetings regarding the projects, please click here to sign-up
Caring for your infrastructure to keep Kirkland
healthy, safe and vibrant.