Lateral (Experienced police officer) - Must have successfully completed an accredited Police Basic Training Academy curriculum and have a minimum of 12 months full-time service within the last 36 months (prefer current) as a sworn municipal or county officer, and have completed two years of accredited college credit hours (90 quarter credit hours or 60 semester credit hours). Must be at least 21 years of age and have or be able to obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. A lateral officer whose state certification is recognized by the WACJTC does not have to attend the basic academy. Out-of-state laterals do have to pass the WACJTC 80hr Equivalency Academy. Lateral officers will be placed in an eight-week abbreviated Police Training Officers program for field training. Lateral Officers are on Probation for twelve months from date of hire.
||The following are automatic disqualifiers - Applicants should not apply to our agency if they indicate any of the following:
- 1 or more traffic crime convictions in last 5 years (DWI, Suspended, Reckless, etc.)
- Suspension of driver's license within past 5 years.
- Applicant's driving record will be carefully reviewed.
- Illegal use of ANY controlled substance while employed in a criminal justice capacity.
- Pattern of illegal use of prescription medication.
- All illegal drug use will be closely scrutinized on a case by case basis.
- Any adult felony conviction.
- Any misdemeanor or felony conviction while employed in a criminal justice capacity.
- Adult misdemeanor convictions will be carefully reviewed.
- Juvenile felony convictions will be carefully reviewed.
- Been convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statue.
- Sold drugs.
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
- Lied during any stage of the hiring process.
- Falsified his or her application, personal history questionnaire, or any other forms during hiring process.
- Previous revocation or denial of any (CJTC/POST) certified status, or suspension of current CJTC/POST certified status.
- Failure to pay income tax or child support.
- Current credit accounts, or unresolved accounts in collection will be carefully reviewed
- Any conduct or pattern of behavior that would tend to disrupt, diminish or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.
- Exposed tattoo's which can not be covered by a standard uniform of the day.