Contact: Stephen Padua
KIRKLAND, Wash. – New pay parking hours for the downtown Lakeshore lot at Marina Park will take effect June 1, bringing uniformity to both of the downtown paid parking lots to reduce confusion. Paid parking hours will extend from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. with a four hour time limit. The cost to park will remain at $1 per hour.
The City Council unanimously approved these changes at their May 16 meeting. The goal is to encourage more parking turnover and increase the availability of parking for customers as they visit downtown businesses. Previously parking was limited to three hours. The Council increased the limit to four hours based on feedback from residents who wanted more time to shop and use the park while downtown.
“These changes come in response to requests from our community to make parking easier and more available,” said Councilmember Penny Sweet. “As a Council, we have worked together with the Kirkland Downtown Association, the Kirkland Chamber of Commerce and Kirkland’s Business Roundtable to implement these and other changes to give customers more access to our local businesses.”
New signs indicating the extended hours will appear in the Lakeshore lot soon. The changes will go into effect on Thursday, June 1, and will be followed by two weeks of enforcement warnings to communicate the changes to all customers and businesses. Parking enforcement will then begin ticketing violators on Thursday, June 15.
Payment for parking in both downtown lots can be accomplished with the PayByPhone app or at pay stations in each of the lots. All revenues generated from parking enforcement are reinvested in parking improvements.
A number of changes to downtown parking have been implemented over the past 2 years at the direction of the City Council including:
- Making Peter Kirk Municipal garage improvements including re-striping, new signs and upgraded lighting
- Modifying time restrictions on Market Street to balance the needs of downtown businesses and Kirkland residents.
- Expanding employee parking permits to Lake Avenue West
- Expanding the pay parking time in the Lake and Central Lot to 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. with a four hour time limit
- Installing parking wayfinding signage throughout downtown
- Implementation of PayByPhone
- Nightly security patrols in the Peter Kirk Municipal Garage
Also, a new parking lot directly south of City Hall on 3rd Avenue between 1st and 2nd Streets will open soon with parking for downtown employees with permits from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and free public parking at night and on the weekends. The opening date is dependent on the contractor getting enough good weather to complete construction.