We automatically collect statistical information as described below but only to assist us in improving this site. The City of Kirkland does not:
- Share any personal information gathered on this web site with other agencies, organizations, or persons unless required by law.
- Collect and/or sell information for commercial marketing.
This notice covers the following topics:
- Automatically Collected Information
- Personal Information
- Public Access to Information
- Site Security
- Electronic Commerce
- Links to Other Sites
Automatically Collected Information
If you only browse our web site or download data, some information will be collected automatically. This information will not identify you personally. It is used only to improve this site by telling us the number of visitors and the types of browser and operating system our visitors are using. The following information is collected each time someone visits any web site:
The Internet domain name (examples: aol.com or foxinternet.net) from which you access our site. Note, this is not your Internet address.
- The IP address from which you connected to our site. The Internet Protocol address is a number assigned to your computer or provided by your Internet Service Provider whenever you browse the Internet. We use this address to send data you request back to you.
- The type of browser you used to visit our site.
- The type of operating system you used.
- The date and time you visit our site.
- The specific pages you visit at our site.
- If you linked to our site from another web site, the address of that site.
Except as otherwise provided in this policy, we will keep personal information private and not share it unless disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, a court order, or other legal process or to protect the rights of The City of Kirkland or enforce some term or provision of this policy. In registering for, applying for, and paying for classes, courses or performing some other transaction on-line; in filling out a form or a survey; or in sending an e-mail, you will be asked to voluntarily provide the following personal information:
1. Information by participating in an on-line transaction.
2. Information through an on-line form or forum.
3. Information through an on-line application
4. Information in response to a survey or poll.
5. The e-mail address and contents for those who communicate with us via e-mail.
A domain name or Internet protocol address is not considered personal information.
The information you provide will be used only for the purpose for which it is intended. This personal information, once submitted to this or other city managed web sites, becomes a public record subject to public record keeping regulations, including disclosure. (See the definition of a public record RCW 42.56.010). In most cases the information you give us will be used only to help us in providing you with the services or information that you request.
Public Access to Information
If personal information is requested on the web site or volunteered by the user, state and federal law may protect it. However, this information is a public record once it is provided and may be subject to public inspection and copying if it is not protected by law. Washington State laws exist to ensure that government is open and that the public has a right to access appropriate records and information possessed by government agencies, including the City of Kirkland. At the same time, there are exceptions to the public’s right to access public records that serve various needs, including the privacy of individuals. Both state and federal laws provide exceptions.
RCW 42.56.070(9) prohibits the disclosure of lists of individuals requested for commercial purposes. In the event of a conflict between this Privacy Notice and the Public Records Act or other law governing the disclosure of records, the Public Records Act or other applicable law will control.
To better serve our users, we use "cookies" to customize your browsing experience on some parts of the City of Kirkland web site. Cookies are simple text files stored on your computer by a web server. Cookies created on your computer by using this web site do not contain personally identifying information and do not compromise your privacy or security.
Cookies Defined: Persistent Client-State HTTP Cookies are files containing information about visitors to a Web site (e.g., user name and preferences). This information is provided by the user during the first visit to a Web server. The server records this information in a text file and stores this file on the visitor's hard drive. When the visitor accesses the same Web site again, the server looks for the cookie and configures itself based on the information provided.
List Servers and E-Bulletins
The City of Kirkland does not sell or rent mailing lists of its E-bulletin subscribers to any organization. The city may provide lists of its subscribers to project partner government agencies, and then only to provide customized information to residents or business owners who may be served by receipt of that information.
PLEASE NOTE: The city may be required to provide e-mail lists to third parties if the information is requested under Washington State public disclosure law
IdeasForum.KirklandWa.gov / Granicus (Civic Ideas) Web Portal
The City of Kirkland uses the Granicus civic engagement solution which includes an interactive website at ideasforum.kirklandwa.gov. Since this is a 3rd party service; the city operates this online forum using Granicus' Civic Ideas Terms of Service
. The city of Kirkland also adds the following additions to these adopted Terms and Policies:
- This site is considered a limited public forum and moderators will remove comments that are a violation of the site's Terms of service OR do not meet the city of Kirkland's comment policy criteria (see below).
- All information posted or provided to http://ideasforum.kirklandwa.gov is done so voluntarily and subject to public disclosure as per the Personal Information section of this Privacy and Security notice.
Kirkland Comment Policy
The City of Kirkland moderates all limited public forums. The city reserves the right to delete comments or submissions that contain:
- Comments not topically related to the particular article being commented upon;
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations of commerce, Spam or links to other sites;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems; or
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party.
The City of Kirkland has taken steps to safeguard the information on this site and prevent unauthorized access to information it maintains--including authentication, monitoring, auditing, and encryption. Security measures are taken as a part of the implementation of all software and hardware infrastructure as part of our continuing commitment to risk management. However, we cannot warrant as fail proof the security of information collected or provided via this web site. Unauthorized attempts to change information on this site or upload information are strictly prohibited.
You have the option to do business on-line with the City of Kirkland, including making electronic payments for goods and services. Such transactions are allowed only under tightly controlled circumstances, where there are appropriate technological and other safeguards in place to protect financial and other sensitive data. All credit card transactions are encrypted.
The City of Kirkland is responsible for properly securing communications that are exempt from public disclosure, including financial information.
The design of the electronic commerce systems supported on the City of Kirkland web site is such that financial data remains primarily with financial institutions. Wherever possible, financial information is not seen or collected by the city itself. Instead, designated banks route the data, transfer the funds, and confirm payment to both you and the city. In addition, measures including but not limited to encryption are used to ensure the integrity and security of your financial information.
The provision of this information should not be construed in any way as giving business, legal, or other advice or warranting as fail proof the security of information provided via the City of Kirkland web site.
The City of Kirkland does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of the information published on this web site and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by the reliance on such. Portions of such information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this site does so at his or her own risk. Furthermore, other sites may link to The City of Kirkland.
The City of Kirkland does not endorse any content, viewpoints, products, or services linked from this site and is not responsible for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of such information.
Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard against unauthorized disclosures of information, we cannot assure you that personally identifiable information that we collect will never be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with this Privacy Notice.
This web site is governed by the state of Washington. Any use of the site must comply with all state and federal laws and regulations as well as the policies and disclaimers on this site
Edited 10.23.2013 - needed to update link to reference RCW definitions